Sign in to follow this  
Brad Dorsey

Henry Strobel, Sr.

I received this e-mail about an hour ago:

"Dear friends of Henry Strobel Sr.,

My Dad, Henry Strobel Sr., author, shop owner and violin maker, died August 28, 2018. He was 82. He was greatly respected in the local violin community and worldwide.  The family is still running the shop and book business. He will be missed by all. If this could be posted elsewhere, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Thanks,

Henry Strobel Jr."

Condolences to the family.  I have to wonder just how many starting makers and even established makers have referenced Mr. Strobel's books over the years.   

I started making my first violin using his books back when I was in college. That was the beginning of what would become a life long passion for me. Rest in peace Mr. Strobel.

I called the store just a month or so ago to inquire about bow rehairing, the son said that he didn't do it and that his dad's eyesight wasn't good enough to do it anymore, but it sounded like he still had the spirit to do it otherwise. This must have been right before he passed.

I liked what he was doing.  He was methodical and creative in his research and very careful in his statements.  

I very much liked his book on "Useful Measurements...."  I bet every shop in the world has a copy of that.  His other books were also useful--there were lots of them.

His work was very helpful

Mike D