Maestronet Forums

Which one has better tone?

Landolfi

1 hour ago, John_London said:

You damn with faint praise. If any of my violins (none of them expensive) were described as 'less nasal' I would ebay it for a low price.

You are right, partially : enthousiasm is something different.

However nasality is one of the great topics of the Dünnwald - analysis. He considered it as a detrimental thing and if I remember right, his strongest parameter L included the "nasal region" ( in level-comparison to A0 ). So less nasal is a compliment. It would be to hope, that a violin could offer even some more positive features.

With all limitations yet told here ( to add, that recorded was in an obviously small room ) I would like to say :

- both violins sound quite reasonably 

- # 2 even better, the beginning of gipsy airs i.m.o. sounds really passionately

One question remains : which one is the Landolfi ? 

3 hours ago, John_London said:

You damn with faint praise. If any of my violins (none of them expensive) were described as 'less nasal' I would ebay it for a low price.

Nasality (as also pointed out by Danube Fiddler ) is a relevant factor. Some violins have more, some have less. Some people like it, some people don't. In the samples we were given, of the quirks that I could hear, that one is what did it for me.

cannot tell anything with that clip, there are some good sounds and some not so good.

1. Need to work all the strings up and down in all positions, play slowly, how easily can you pull the notes from a whisper to full blossom, with and without vibrato. Does it have good sound at low volumes as well as full throttle. How clean and articulate is it in fast passages, do the notes pop out and stop just as fast. How much snap and crunch can be had at the start of the notes in the higher positions, or is it glassy and slippery.

2. Get out of that acoustic space, outside in the open will reveal more of the instrument. Or a place in the house where rooms and halls meet with curtains and chairs, ect. to break up the background resonance.

3. There is a certain slippery shallow cheap sound that they both have that could be the bow, or just how you play, not enough core to the sound not enough grit. There is a tendency for players to make all instruments sound like themselves, there is a lot to be said for personal technique that goes beyond the sound of the instrument and it's capabilities.

4. Have several different capable players try them using different bows from stiff to soft to see what is really there, see what they can get out of them. See what happens with a heavy handed player, and a light player.

5. Hope you find your one true love, good luck.

16 hours ago, Danube Fiddler said:

So less nasal is a compliment. It would be to hope, that a violin could offer even some more positive features.

One question remains : which one is the Landolfi ? 

I know. It is a question of language, I think. Even my student violin I consider 'nothing like nasal'.  I meant that anything which could be nasal enough to be called only 'less nasal' would go on ebay...

And neither of those fiddles sounds, if one can guess quality from a violin's recorded sound (which I doubt) likely to be a good buy in the price range Landolfi mentioned elsewhere. Or, as Evan Smith so beautifully put it,

13 hours ago, Evan Smith said:

There is a certain slippery shallow cheap sound that they both have...

As for which one is 'the Landolfi', yes, I am not the only contributor here to have been a bit slow on the obvious question, which one is Landolfi? Someone with access to a few German trade instruments, probably with English as first language, with considerable familiarity with the language of violin auctions, and a deep scepticism about the relationship of sound quality to price. And a liking for a joke.