Sign in to follow this  
finnfinnviolin

3D printing files

Betts Dicom stl neck 3d printed, I was surprised at how close the dimensions where to the Library of Congress pictured setting, they where just a few 10th's off. about as close as I will ever get at seeing a Stradivarius neck. it's good enough to use to eye with when carving the neck out. 

20181130_015618.jpg

20181130_015552.jpg

20181130_015601.jpg

20181130_030904.jpg

20181130_030847.jpg

20181130_030756.jpg

20181130_030523.jpg

6 hours ago, carl1961 said:

Betts Dicom stl neck 3d printed, I was surprised at how close the dimensions where to the Library of Congress pictured setting, they where just a few 10th's off. about as close as I will ever get at seeing a Stradivarius neck. it's good enough to use to eye with when carving the neck out. 

20181130_015618.jpg

I would have left it as is, it looks like a modern sculpture or a very original skyscraper!

I do not know anything about 3D printing, but I'm just curious, how do you get rid of all those parts that have nothing to do with the scroll? It seems a lot of delicate work.
Another question, do these support structures need to be designed by you or are they automatically decided by the printing machine?

There's already a lot of instrument-related material at Thingiverse , which is an online repository of 3D material by Makerbot. There are other such sites, but I'm not aware of one that's reasonably noncommercial and of reliable quality. Thingiverse seems to provide a pretty good mix of file management and preview, scale, license management, and quality control via rating system.

If you browse around there, you'll find a lot of dubious-looking instruments and parts (PLA seems like a lousy material for a bridge, for example), but also lots of useful stuff - hangers, peg winders, tools, etc., as well as a few interesting, innovative instruments.

4 hours ago, Davide Sora said:

I would have left it as is, it looks like a modern sculpture or a very original skyscraper!

I do not know anything about 3D printing, but I'm just curious, how do you get rid of all those parts that have nothing to do with the scroll? It seems a lot of delicate work.
Another question, do these support structures need to be designed by you or are they automatically decided by the printing machine?

The support stuff is barely touching the parts so they break off easy . The slicer program adds the support automatically, some slicer programs do have the options for letting you manually apply support in areas you might think needs it.

betts neck-print.PNG

15 hours ago, Tom Fid said:

There's already a lot of instrument-related material at Thingiverse , which is an online repository of 3D material by Makerbot. There are other such sites, but I'm not aware of one that's reasonably noncommercial and of reliable quality. Thingiverse seems to provide a pretty good mix of file management and preview, scale, license management, and quality control via rating system.

If you browse around there, you'll find a lot of dubious-looking instruments and parts (PLA seems like a lousy material for a bridge, for example), but also lots of useful stuff - hangers, peg winders, tools, etc., as well as a few interesting, innovative instruments.

There are some really cool things on that site!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3085101

16 hours ago, carl1961 said:

The support stuff is barely touching the parts so they break off easy . The slicer program adds the support automatically, some slicer programs do have the options for letting you manually apply support in areas you might think needs it.

betts neck-print.PNG

Thanks for the reply.