Sign in to follow this  
finnfinnviolin

3D printing files

6 minutes ago, francesco piasentini said:

Hi all.

Thanks Advocatus. I did not even knew about these public scans.

Betts DICOM image quality is very good! At least good enough for this kind of results: Betts.thumb.jpg.0dacbd6294b083d48cac3469bbc7584c.jpg

Please have a look at the drive folder, I created a subfolder "Violins". I'm uploading the stl there

Thanks francesco, looks like a left hand fiddle

9 minutes ago, francesco piasentini said:

Hi all.

Thanks Advocatus. I did not even knew about these public scans.

Betts DICOM image quality is very good! At least good enough for this kind of results: 

Please have a look at the drive folder, I created a subfolder "Violins". I'm uploading the stl there

Cool! Thanks!

Is it possibile to print the parts separately? I mean it would cool to be able to print for example the top in a way that you can look at it without the set-up. Or dismantle the print for demonstration purposes. 

Just now, Barnes Ziegler said:

Cool! Thanks!

Is it possibile to print the parts separately? I mean it would cool to be able to print for example the top in a way that you can look at it without the set-up. Or dismantle the print for demonstration purposes. 

I should be polishing my instruments for Mondomusica.

After that everything is possible. Including mistakes! :-)

One thing that we all need to be mindful of is that printing with resins (even with professional 3d printers) isn't as accurate as we'd like it to be. I've seen as much as .3 mm errors. 

Scrollavezza & Zanre hoped to provide a 3D printed plates with their excellent 'tuscan Stradivarius' publication (made from the CT scans). After several attempts, they weren't able to achieve the accuracy they were looking for.

Google Drive doesn't like very much my stl.

I uploaded the file here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5of8kupjl1bzfnu/AACgAe2jKPIkq0lK7ju082UWa?dl=0

Can somebody copy it to the folder "Violins" made by Barnes?

edit:

wait a minute: after a reboot it went fine in a matter of seconds:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uaFs4hmVFBYvHMIVgZwVVQ1GwlbNMdSv

I open the Betts STL in Fusion to much around with it. word of caution

•  the file is huge and difficult to manipulate. 
  • there is an error on import (it comes in 10 x the correct side) -- you need to scale the model to .1 
  • i'm playing around with sectioning it so one could print different parts -- scroll, plates etc. 
  • if you want to play around with it in Fusion you'll need to enable the mesh tools in the preferences dialog. Then select Mesh --> modify --> plane cut

21 minutes ago, Urban Luthier said:

I open the Betts STL in Fusion to much around with it. word of caution

• there is an error on import (it comes in 10 x the correct side) -- you need to scale the model to .1

This could be originated when importing in Fusion 360, since the file is correctly scaled (see previous thickness evalutation). Could you double check this please? Maybe it's a matter of [cm] vs [mm]. BTW the stl I made is scaled in mm. See a fast measure (made in Rhino 6) below:

betts_length.thumb.jpg.11e0baa61edacc88cf384603716a0a41.jpg

Regarding the file dimension, you can easily decimate the mesh. But that means loosing some information.

1 hour ago, francesco piasentini said:

This could be originated when importing in Fusion 360, since the file is correctly scaled (see previous thickness evalutation). Could you double check this please?

You are correct. This is an issue with Fusion without a doubt. I've seen it happen when importing drawings as well. The scale factor is off. I really don't know why they havent fixed this!

I don't know Fusion at all. 

I don't like the Autodesk policy. It just stopped Artacam and other packages in order to eliminate competitors.

I use Rhino, which is a very powerful surface modeler (at least I saw wonderful works made with it), and has a very active user community. IMO it's a good solution for a violinmaker who wants to deal with mesh and Nurbs modeling. And it's the cheapest commercial software I found.

It's NOT a pure parametric modeller, although this is not a big issue in violinmaking.

Somebody is using FreeCad for parametric modeling: https://www.freecadweb.org/ it seems promising

21 hours ago, francesco piasentini said:

Wow! I did not tried it yet. Many thanks Carl.

here is a great site on the betts, and I also downloaded all the highest resolution pictures.

Library of Congress

https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200155591/

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1614dYvwzI-Z12yNUcrQMKbUSUujUVxRL/view?usp=sharing

On 9/24/2018 at 2:40 AM, Michael_Molnar said:

Please post photos of any results.

the bass bar printed fine.  it's a little more limber that wood, but I thing they will work fine, unless someone is spring loading there bass-bars, printed PLA at 50% fill  print time 6 hours

IMG_20180924_124003.jpg

IMG_20180924_124223.jpg

Very cool thanks for sharing Carl! 

funny to see these as a 3D print. I'm sure they will work just fine.

On my wooden originals, I've glued a thin strip of cork on the face that goes against the belly. Also helps to plane the bass bar on a slight angle to allow better contact with the clamps

On 9/24/2018 at 2:49 AM, Barnes Ziegler said:

Oh ok. I was getting my hopes up of having the possibility to print out the Betts and hang it in my workshop. That would be pretty amazing.

I found this video about making a 3D model out of a CT-Scan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO6VF9syxZA

Maybe I should try to do this...

Found a free awesome Slicer for dicom and it converts to stl  there a mac version too ;) you can watch the video showing  how to do it.

https://download.slicer.org/

More sound post tools

Cutting the sound post to the correct length and the ends to a reasonably correct angle isn't easy. The set of tools below is used for:

1) Measuring the length of the sound post.

2) Measuring the angles of the movable feet. Using templates cut to 2, 5 and 8 deg.

3) Tool to cut the end of the sound post to the measured angle. The holes in the block emplate are bored at 2,5, and 8 deg.

Brass inserts are used for all screws.

I will modify the feet slightly to make t easier to take out the tool without moving the feet.

iMGP5438_small.PNG

That's a great use of 3d printing. Jigs and fixtures seem to be the way.  I had some tiny finger planes printed from wax and cast from the wax files a few years ago. They came out great with very high precision dimensions though they did require a bit of cleanup.  Certainly not something I could have done 10 years ago.

MCC2018 TRA023-6580.jpg

On 10/7/2018 at 4:27 AM, Lars Silen said:

More sound post tools

Cutting the sound post to the correct length and the ends to a reasonably correct angle isn't easy. The set of tools below is used for:

1) Measuring the length of the sound post.

2) Measuring the angles of the movable feet. Using templates cut to 2, 5 and 8 deg.

3) Tool to cut the end of the sound post to the measured angle. The holes in the block emplate are bored at 2,5, and 8 deg.

Brass inserts are used for all screws.

I will modify the feet slightly to make t easier to take out the tool without moving the feet.

iMGP5438_small.PNG

Nice and useful 3D printed tools! does the ends on your post setter stay to show the angle on the plates ? or they just for protecting the plates from getting gouged.

On 11/16/2018 at 10:35 AM, BenPearce said:

That's a great use of 3d printing. Jigs and fixtures seem to be the way.  I had some tiny finger planes printed from wax and cast from the wax files a few years ago. They came out great with very high precision dimensions though they did require a bit of cleanup.  Certainly not something I could have done 10 years ago.

MCC2018 TRA023-6580.jpg

Nice Job! and looks like the design will save you from the normal blisters caused from traditions planes