Sign in to follow this  
finnfinnviolin

3D printing files

I have access to a 3D printer and am wondering if anyone has any files/scans they would be willing to share? 

If yes, then Perhaps we could collect them together so people could have access to them on here?

thanks 

So if you haven't guessed, I'm a fan of Autodesk Fusion. It is the best kept secret in CAD. Free to use if you sign up as an enthusiast. Great modelling and drawing tools. Very easy to export to CAM. I love to model in 3d but the funny thing is I still wind up making all my tools and figures by hand!

11 hours ago, finnfinnviolin said:

I have access to a 3D printer and am wondering if anyone has any files/scans they would be willing to share? 

If yes, then Perhaps we could collect them together so people could have access to them on here?

thanks 

The LOC and Smithsonian scans are public, unless they've been taken down since I last checked.  If they aren't still there I can send you a .zip file (I'm assuming that's ok since they were at one time available?).

4 hours ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

The LOC and Smithsonian scans are public, unless they've been taken down since I last checked.  If they aren't still there I can send you a .zip file (I'm assuming that's ok since they were at one time available?).

Could you post the link?

Two tools that may be useful to somebody.

Sound post tool: This tool is a 3d printed version of the basic sound post position template made from paper or cardboard. The two parts are glued together using Super glue. Let the glue dry for a few hours before use. The top parts has three different scales printed to the tool. The short length wise scale measures the distance from the sound post to the outer edge of the ridge. The second length wise (outer) scale measures the distance from the sound post to the edge of the sound hole.

The third scale perpendicular to the two other ones measures the distance from the sound post to the flat edge of the bridge.

I think every violinist should measure the position of the sound post in his instrument because it is much easier to restore the instrument to a playing condition after an accident if the old position is even roughly known. The measured position should be stored for example in the violin case. Sound post tool in Swedish is ljudpinneverktyg.

For those interested in internal adjustments of a playable and tuned instrument the sanding tool may be useful. The sanding tool procides access to essentially any location in the top or bottom of the violin and also to the ribs. Glue a small 10 mm diameter magnet to the printed base using Super glue. Make a sanding tool to be dropped into the instrument from a similar magnet with abasive sand (for example 80 grit) glued to one face. Orient the sanding face so that it is drawn towards the magnet of the external plastic tool. Let the glue dry for a number of hours before use. The name of the sanding tool is Slipverktyg in Swedish.

ljudpinneverktyg.zip

fiol_slipverktyg.zip

ljudpinneverktyg_fiol.png

slipverktyg.png

On 9/19/2018 at 6:43 PM, Urban Luthier said:

So if you haven't guessed, I'm a fan of Autodesk Fusion. It is the best kept secret in CAD. Free to use if you sign up as an enthusiast. Great modelling and drawing tools. Very easy to export to CAM. I love to model in 3d but the funny thing is I still wind up making all my tools and figures by hand!

I also enjoy fusion 360, seem each update makes it easier to use. Have you been able to figure out how to do the violin tops and backs? I have a copy of violin stl files I found online from searching violin CNC drawings, but the stl have to many facets.  have a CNC I got 6 months ago just waiting to cut a violin part LOL I'm jealous, John Masters has been able to do the work.

to many facets.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

Violin_XIII.Scroll_Top.Back18500STL.zip

9 hours ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

I uploaded the Betts dicom.  There wasn't room for more than one.

Thanks a lot! 

In theory there are still 10GB left on the drive. Maybe the files are to big to be uploaded at once?

2 questions:

Which program I should get to open the files? (I've got a Mac)

Can I print them with a 3D printer as they are, or do I need to convert/modify the files?

On 9/22/2018 at 4:38 AM, Barnes Ziegler said:

Hey!

So I uploaded the projects you posted on this folder on my googledrive.

With this Link you should be able to upload and download the projects and the scans of the violins into the folder.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yjFaGaCo_yVb3WI5-SgbrDW_MayTwXD9?usp=sharing

Great Idea Barnes Ziegler, thanks for the start. I have some Over hange gauges I managed to do with fusion 360 a few months ago I put a mini inc filler in them

Violin 3D Printable Tools Overhang Gauge v3.stl.zip

Violin 3D Printable Overhang Gauge v3.f3d.zip

3-4-5mm.jpg

27 minutes ago, Barnes Ziegler said:

Thanks a lot! 

In theory there are still 10GB left on the drive. Maybe the files are to big to be uploaded at once?

2 questions:

Which program I should get to open the files? (I've got a Mac)

Can I print them with a 3D printer as they are, or do I need to convert/modify the files?

I don't think its printable stuff , they or like I think cat scans, but here is a viewer you might can try, https://escapetech.eu/dicom/emvmac.html   I use microsoft windows  so I found http://www.microdicom.com/

MicroDicom.JPG

28 minutes ago, carl1961 said:

I don't think its printable stuff , they or like I think cat scans, but here is a viewer you might can try, https://escapetech.eu/dicom/emvmac.html   I use microsoft windows  so I found http://www.microdicom.com/

Oh ok. I was getting my hopes up of having the possibility to print out the Betts and hang it in my workshop. That would be pretty amazing.

I found this video about making a 3D model out of a CT-Scan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO6VF9syxZA

Maybe I should try to do this...