Sign in to follow this  
nathan slobodkin

Defective lamps

Some time ago I asked for recommendations on decent bench task lights and Jerry Pascewitz suggested Luxo LC1As.

I wanted to pass on my extreme disappointment with these lamps. Not only have both of the ones I ordered arrived incorrectly assembled but the customer service has been among the most pig headed and aggravating that I have ever encountered. I have finally given up on returning them as the time involved has now exceeded the cost of the lamps. 

If any one has other suggestions for well made bench lamps please let me know. Thanks.

44 minutes ago, nathan slobodkin said:

Some time ago I asked for recommendations on decent bench task lights and Jerry Pascewitz suggested Luxo LC1As.

I wanted to pass on my extreme disappointment with these lamps. Not only have both of the ones I ordered arrived incorrectly assembled but the customer service has been among the most pig headed and aggravating that I have ever encountered. I have finally given up on returning them as the time involved has now exceeded the cost of the lamps. 

If any one has other suggestions for well made bench lamps please let me know. Thanks.

Hi Nate,

That's unfortunate indeed.

For my home shop I get by with 2 ANTIFONI lamps from Ikea using different lumen light sources.  Nothing special but it does the trick.

At the workshop, I use the Lee Valley LED Magnifying bench lamp which I quite like.

My favorite lamp has been one that a former girlfriend/jeweler had and that was the Grobet Professional led bench lamp.

Just a few options for you to consider...

DGSR:) 

I don't get this. I have 2 Luxo LS1 long arm at work, and one at home. 

They have one problem, the screw that attaches the screen to the arm can come loose, so I had to tighten that few times. Otherwise they are by far the best bench lamps that I know of. I have had them for many years without any major issue. 

They are on Amazon, and returning should not be an issue.

Would be interesting to know how they were incorrectly assembled, seems strange that two would be, especially if purchased at different times.

I was under the impression that these were great lamps which lasted years and years, and are to be found in most workshops.

On 9/14/2018 at 9:30 PM, CSchabbon said:

They have one problem, the screw that attaches the screen to the arm can come loose, so I had to tighten that few times. Otherwise they are by far the best bench lamps that I know of. I have had them for many years without any major issue. 

Yes, I have 11 LC1A lamps  in the workshop, the first of which I purchased back in 1990 at the U of M property disposition store where it was probably used for many years before I got it.  The others, I have had to replace one switch 10 yrs or so ago, otherwise they are used 6 days a week; the youngest being 5 or 6 years old. I would also be interested in learning how they were assembled incorrectly as I have never had a problem.

On 9/14/2018 at 7:58 PM, nathan slobodkin said:

Perhaps you got some knock-off items from not-so-reputable reseller... Pretty common these days when ordering online.

21 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Since I'm to cheap too get the lamps that Schabbon and Pasewicz like :D, I'm going to try the Ikea Antifoni lamp mentioned earlier. Some Ikea products are impressively engineered and executed. We'll see how this one goes.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80304743/

A very wise man used to say “it is the stingy man that pays the most”....

1 hour ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

A very wise man used to say “it is the stingy man that pays the most”....

Is that the same very wise man who also said, "Higamus hogamus, women are monogamous. Higimus pigamus, men are polygamous"?  :P

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

Since I'm to cheap too get the lamps that Schabbon and Pasewicz like :D, I'm going to try the Ikea Antifoni lamp mentioned earlier. Some Ikea products are impressively engineered and executed. We'll see how this one goes.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80304743/

I use this one. (actually two - clamped directly to either side of my bench) they are even more economical than the one you note above.  https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40372871/?query=TERTIAL 

21 minutes ago, Urban Luthier said:

I use this one. (actually two - clamped directly to either side of my bench) they are even more economical than the one you note above.  https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40372871/?query=TERTIAL 

Hmm, I might need to have the other nickel plated one, to go with all the chrome on my Harleys. ;)

Is that the same very wise man who also said, "Higamus hogamus, women are monogamous. Higimus pigamus, men are polygamous"?  :P

Probably not, but clearly this man was quite the thinker as well.

On September 14, 2018 at 9:30 PM, CSchabbon said:

Christian,

I am not sure what you mean by the screen but the problem I have is that the nut holding the entire head of the lamp to the arm was not tightened and  that there seems to be no way to access it without removing a riveted inner shade. If this is what you are saying please let me know how to get in there as my conversations with the Luxo distributor have resulted in no technical assistance at all but rather repeated and redundant requests for documents and photos followed by accusatory questions about a small smear of some color on the shade. The other one which I bought thinking that my first one would be sent for repair came with the nuts on the arms loose which was not a big problem but did require that I locate and purchase some very weirdly sized wrenches. 

14 minutes ago, nathan slobodkin said:

Christian,

I am not sure what you mean by the screen but the problem I have is that the nut holding the entire head of the lamp to the arm was not tightened and  that there seems to be no way to access it without removing a riveted inner shade. If this is what you are saying please let me know how to get in there as my conversations with the Luxo distributor have resulted in no technical assistance at all but rather repeated and redundant requests for documents and photos followed by accusatory questions about a small smear of some color on the shade. The other one which I bought thinking that my first one would be sent for repair came with the nuts on the arms loose which was not a big problem but did require that I locate and purchase some very weirdly sized wrenches. 

The nut you refer to is accessible in seconds by removing the two screws that hold the switch.  Is the switch not attached with screws on our model?

31566F95-B754-4C12-AEBB-940FB3E72D7A.jpeg

2 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

When the hogamus start, so do the pigamus.  

Actually, maximum reproductive efficiency involves different strategies for males and females. These are somewhat "wired in" from thousands of years of evolutionary natural selection.

2 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Actually, maximum reproductive efficiency involves different strategies for males and females. These are somewhat "wired in" from thousands of years of evolutionary natural selection.

oh geez, please stop, this will not end well....

Yikes... I wouldn't get any Ikea lamps or Ikea anything. They look pretty, obviously, but the Ikea desk lamp I had would not ever stay how I set it up (flimsy/worthless hardware), and it burned a big hole in the top of my desk because the light got so hot and had collapsed down yet again near the surface of the desk. Could have burned down the house. Their track lighting was also really dangerously hot. Few items Ikea makes are designed right or with decent materials. If you don't believe me, try to take an Ikea furniture item apart and put it back together. The ones that are good...sure, they are great. My opinion, and all I have bought there in 10 years are some of their simple kids' toys,  which seem great, so maybe I don't really know. But I don't think Ikea is better than Wal-Mart. Might be worse.

As for work lamps, I have had good luck finding thrift store architect/drafting lights. I don't think they truly have to draw anything anymore, so the college kids buy one because they have to in school, but then pitch them as soon as the drafting class is over. Maybe see what drafting professionals are buying and get that, or just wait in the shadows of junk shops in a college town. Whatever works. Ikea just terrifies me, but whatever...

Your bench light needs to be that one with the green shade they use in banks.