Sign in to follow this  
ClefLover

I don’t typically find used cases interesting, but...

21 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

like plastic which is a bit odd for a 1920s case.

Would they be bakelite? Popular material in that era. Glenyork is the case expert here, maybe he'll see the post and chime in.

8 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

The bow spinners look

like plastic which is a bit odd for a 1920s case.

Yes, they are plastic. The edgework round the body and lid is ebony but they used plastic spinners on these cases. They have pointy ends. The early ebony spinners have rounded ends.

Glenn

1 hour ago, GlennYorkPA said:

I'm happy to comment more extensively on the case after it has been sold.

Glenn

That makes since.  I have become oddly obsessed with searching for various things made of Bakelite... 

22 minutes ago, GlennYorkPA said:

Fair enough but I have no idea what particular plastic these spinners are made of.

If they were Bakelite, would that case be more interesting to you??? LOL?

Glenn

No, not really.  I wasn’t familiar with Bakelite until someone mentioned it.  Not really sure why I am so fascinated with Bakelite now.  I found an old phone made of it, I find that very interesting.  

On 9/16/2018 at 10:40 AM, GlennYorkPA said:

I'm happy to comment more extensively on the case after it has been sold.

Glenn

It looks like it sold, then was reposted... probably buyer’s remorse.  I suppose we’ll wait for the comments until after it sells. 

1 hour ago, martin swan said:

More likely shill bidding ...

Quite likely and as it has reappeared at a fixed price of $1500 one assumes that this was the price the seller had in mind all along. 

A little ambitious IMHO. The seller is clearly putting a high value on it (possibly) having belonged to a violinist we have never heard of.

Glenn

Not necessarily shill bidding.  I sold something on ebay and the winner wanted to pay with a check from some kind of unusual account and wanted me to send it to a special address so his wife wouldn't find out he'd bought it!   And he was claiming to be president of some big insurance company for some reason.  He might have been, but I relisted the thing and the bidding was much lower that time, I assume from suspicion.  Cost me over $1000 from the second highest bid in the first auction to the highest bid in the second auction.  Contacted everybody in the first auction before listing the second time and nobody was interested anymore -- it had just taken too unusual of a turn...

Also, these days after a buyer receives the thing, he can bargain with you and send it back if you don't give him a partial refund.  If you aren't willing to do that, I guess he sends it back and you relist it.

1 hour ago, Bill Merkel said:

Not necessarily shill bidding.  I sold something on ebay and the winner wanted to pay with a check from some kind of unusual account and wanted me to send it to a special address so his wife wouldn't find out he'd bought it!   And he was claiming to be president of some big insurance company for some reason.  He might have been, but I relisted the thing and the bidding was much lower that time, I assume from suspicion.  Cost me over $1000 from the second highest bid in the first auction to the highest bid in the second auction.  Contacted everybody in the first auction before listing the second time and nobody was interested anymore -- it had just taken too unusual of a turn...

Also, these days after a buyer receives the thing, he can bargain with you and send it back if you don't give him a partial refund.  If you aren't willing to do that, I guess he sends it back and you relist it.

I think there was only a couple of hours between the expiry of the auction-form listing and the fixed price listing. And as puckandfan says, what other conceivable reason is there for a "private listing" except to bid on your own stuff?

30 minutes ago, deans said:

Why even mess with Ebay on something like this? Hill cases come up at the auctions houses fairly often.

Indeed.

I don't see it as worth $1500, even if it is "ex Adrian Rappoldi" :blink:

5 hours ago, martin swan said:

Indeed.

I don't see it as worth $1500, even if it is "ex Adrian Rappoldi" :blink:

But why, Martin!? It’s really just a simple formula to help justify the cost.  Here’s my thinking... one old case = $375.00... but it holds TWO violins: $375.00 x 2 = $750.00... but WAIT, it holds FOUR bows: $750.00 x 2 = $1,500.00... BONUS free Bakelite = SOLD!!!

Duh... told you it’s simple