Maestronet Forums

Misleading News Article?

Quadibloc

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2018 at 6:41 PM, Quadibloc said:

No, she is just the first one that popped into my head. I've also heard of Jo Ann Castle.

I don't follow classical music all that much, so, for example, I hadn't heard of Khatia Buniatishvili.

I mean, I had heard of Nona Gaprindashvili and Maya Chiburdanidze, and more recently, of a certain Ms. Paikidze in the United States... not that any of them played the piano, as far as I know.

On 9/18/2018 at 3:32 AM, Herman West said:

Surely if musicians need to be celebrities before you become aware of them Helene Grimaud and Yuja Wang would have popped up on your radar.

I've been active in the professional classical music world for half a century and most likely reside a lot closer to that grapevine than you,  and I've never heard of Yuja Wang. 

Draw your own conclusions.

37 minutes ago, AtlVcl said:

I've been active in the professional classical music world for half a century and most likely reside a lot closer to that grapevine than you,  and I've never heard of Yuja Wang. 

Draw your own conclusions.

Wait... wait...  haven't you accompanied Yuja Wang!?

Did you play that all Russian program with Abbado in 2012?  She played Rach 3...

13 hours ago, Stephen Fine said:

Wait... wait...  haven't you accompanied Yuja Wang!?

Did you play that all Russian program with Abbado in 2012?  She played Rach 3...

I don't remember what I had for breakfast day before yesterday, so it's not possible to remember all of the dozen or so pianists who play with us every season. I will say if she had been well known or outstanding in some way I would have remembered her. 

Miss BATIASHVILI, on the other hand, was memorable in more ways than one.

13 hours ago, Quadibloc said:

And just to prove that there are very many famous women playing the piano, from Katia Buniatishvili's small homeland comes another acclaimed pianist, Nino Gvetadze:

Sorry. She may be very good, but she is still not yet "famous."

6 hours ago, AtlVcl said:

Miss BATIASHVILI, on the other hand, was memorable in more ways than one.

And, indeed, this is not a typo. While Katia Bunatishvili plays the piano, Lisa Batiashvili plays the violin.

And here they are, doing just that.

As for Yuja Wang, while she seems to be very talented to me, I have seen some criticism of at least one of her performances: some feel that her attempt at a homage to Art Tatum was inadequate.

Edited by Quadibloc
Addressing additional point in post replied to.

Seriously though, every instrument takes a certain amount of physical energy, some, like the bagpipes take a tremendous amount. But most don’t. The idea that certain people should or should not play this or that instrument is obsolete, but some people still buy into it.

The original article is obviously out of date, and I think that is why it was shared.  I have come to expect certain genders and races to play certain instruments, but that is because of rarity(I don’t see many black women playing the violin, but I see lots of black men playing the double bass, for instance.)

What is needed for effective music, regardless of the instrument, is a minimum of strength, but much dexterity. I constantly share with my students the difference between a man on snowshoes lumbering through a snowy winter forest, and a girl on ice skates, Zipping effortlessly across the lake. I teach my kids how to be the ice skater, even if they are playing Shostakovich.

Edited by PhilipKT
My nickname should be “typo”

8 hours ago, AtlVcl said:

I don't remember what I had for breakfast day before yesterday, so it's not possible to remember all of the dozen or so pianists who play with us every season. I will say if she had been well known or outstanding in some way I would have remembered her. 

Fair enough.  Yuja Wang is a huge name in the piano world though, so I'm not sure about the reliability of your grapevine.

This month she plays with Vienna at Versailles and then starts a month long tour of Japan and China with Gergiev and Munich followed by MTT in Paris, Bringuier in Dresden, and then a European tour with Kavakos... and that just takes us to February.

She's been a big deal for over 10 years now, but that doesn't mean she played a good concert in Atl six years ago.  And I've definitely heard some pianists criticize her.  I always assumed it was a mixture of sour grapes and disapproval over her short skirts.  I love the way she plays.

10 minutes ago, Stephen Fine said:

Fair enough.  Yuja Wang is a huge name in the piano world though...

...  And I've definitely heard some pianists criticize her.  I always assumed it was a mixture of sour grapes and disapproval over her short skirts.  I love the way she plays.

Nothing shallow happening in the music world! Musicians are above all that! B)

40 minutes ago, Stephen Fine said:

Fair enough.  Yuja Wang is a huge name in the piano world though, so I'm not sure about the reliability of your grapevine.

This month she plays with Vienna at Versailles and then starts a month long tour of Japan and China with Gergiev and Munich followed by MTT in Paris, Bringuier in Dresden, and then a European tour with Kavakos... and that just takes us to February.

She's been a big deal for over 10 years now, but that doesn't mean she played a good concert in Atl six years ago.  And I've definitely heard some pianists criticize her.  I always assumed it was a mixture of sour grapes and disapproval over her short skirts.  I love the way she plays.

Being famous in the "piano world" isn't, of necessity, famous in the classical world in general. It certainly sounds like she's on her way up, but she's not exactly famous, at least in the conventional sense of the word.

Talent is one thing, "famous" is another. I hear a lot of extraordinary talent who may already be famous in Europe, but not necessarily a household name. The air is very thin at the top, but maybe your definition of "famous" is more inclusive than mine.

7 hours ago, Quadibloc said:

But she can still be acclaimed, if at least one person recognized that she was very good, and then said so in public.

It depends on who that "one person" is. I proclaim myself to be "very good" because every week the reviewer says I am.
(that's no sillier than arguing with you about whether someone is "famous" or "acclaimed" or simply "not yet discovered"...)