Sign in to follow this  
liang7079

Fine lines on bow tip plate side?

Hi all:

I was looking at an old thread of bow repair and saw a photo from a member , showing a bow tip with these fine lines around the sides of the ivory plate on the bow (my bow has a couple faint one), not sure what they are, any ideas?

post-24423-0-61736000-1299803836.jpg

20180912_011529.jpg

I cannot see any fine lines on the side of the tip plate in the circle in your second picture.  I see a line in the plate in your first picture that indicates a crack in the plate at the outer corner of the head mortise.

This is a bone tip plate and some bone can be quite porous. I coat bone tip plates with super glue to fill the pores when I am finishing them, otherwise I get black specks like these when I am polishing them with micro mesh.

4 hours ago, liang7079 said:

...I had a look and took photos this afternoon in natural lighting, don't think those are cracks, some sort of scratches/marks I guess?

Now I understand what lines you are asking about.  They are not cracks or scratches.  They are small valleys in the varnish on the bow head.  They are artefacts of the wood grain, showing, I think, where the varnish has sunk into the open grains.  They are nothing to be worried about.

I can't see any lines at all, but if this is a Burke bow, and it looks like one to me, he uses fossil ivory, which has a grain that might be visible.

For God's sake don't let anyone near it to polish it or refinish it. It's exactly as it's supposed to be.

4 hours ago, liang7079 said:

Hi Brad: It's not the ridges in the wood I was thinking of , rather the faint lines on the side of the tip plate... 

There are no lines on the side of the tip plate visible in your pictures.

Hi thanks for all the replies, yes those turned out to be just grains, just didn't know they existed on bows , always learn something new I guess.

It's a wonderful bow from Noel, plays and sounds like a fine French bow and masterful materials / wood , hopefully another soon.