Sign in to follow this  
TedN

http://flamemaple.sk

Has anyone bought wood from this guy?

Many years ago I got ripped off by a tonewood dealer around Slovakia or Romania. I am always leery about purchasing wood these days.

6 hours ago, TedN said:

Has anyone bought wood from this guy?

Many years ago I got ripped off by a tonewood dealer around Slovakia or Romania. I am always leery about purchasing wood these days.

I bought from him wood for my first cello as he was about 50 km from where I lived then, he have large hall full of wood, he was very nice, made me cup of tea and we talked a bit.When I was leaving, he drove me to bus stop because I haven't had car.

6 hours ago, TedN said:

These guys look a little sketchy too:

https://www.goldentonewood.com/shop/

I bought 2 complete sets (one-piece backs + ribs + necks + tops) from Golden Tonewood via Facebook. The guy was a bit pushy to sell, but you can negotiate a good price: i paid 250 euro total for the 2 sets + shipping. The maple is good with nice flames, the spruce looks nice too, though a bit heavy at 0.44 for my liking. 

Btw, they are in Transylvania, which according to Roger H. should give you 'bloody good' wood :D

6 hours ago, TedN said:

If it's any help to you, I have ordered wood from both of these online-stores without any problems. 

I've placed a number of separate orders with carpathiantonewood, and always received exactly what I ordered (i.e. the same wood pictured) which has always seemed to be of a respectable quality. Postage + tax costs can get steep quickly (to the UK, at least), so you need to factor that into the prices, but the seller used reputable companies to do the shipping and provided me with full tracking information. 

I think I've only placed one small-ish order through the Goldentonewood website, which seemed of acceptable quality and which I receved within a reasonable amount of time. I believe this seller also has a presence on ebay, which may offer you additional layers of protection/indirection compared to making a purchase directly through an unknown site, if that is a concern to you.

You take a risk every time you buy wood mail order. Even if it looks impeccable in the photos, there can be defects that are difficult to see, the wood may be too heavy, or the piece may be poorly cut, or too small etc etc. 

You can minimise this risk by using established dealers who know what their customers want, have good quality control,  are responsive to problems that arise, and care more about their reputation than extracting as much money as possible from you. 

I don’t see any compelling reason to use the people you link to in preference to Pahler, Bachmann, Rivolta,  Kuss, etc etc

45 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

I have not heard of Kuss before, but would agree with the other companies given by John Cockburn.
I would also mention Drewbas and David Dyke.

Drewbas is good and reliable.. when i had a sap pocket in one of the tops he immediately sent me a new piece without any costs.. he can be a bit slow in responding sometimes as he travels alot.

And L'Archet Brasil which encompasses United Strings International.  Theyre very responsive if there is any problem.

My other recommendation is that you find opportunities to establish face to face contact with any of the suppliers folks have mentioned here.  A number of them, for example, can be found in the vendor hall at the VSA conventions.  Especially if you  buy a set or two from them in that setting, they will tend to remember you when you call later for another batch of wood.  An established relationship is your best assurance of getting above and beyond service.

Agree with John C. but if you find you have no alternative to get what you want other than mail order I dealt directly with Andreas Pahler to get the cello set I was after. Andreas is easy to deal with and was willing to put in the effort to get me wood that met my specifications even through I was making a small order (for him). A piece of advice is to specify all parameters that are important to you, and get good pictures so that you know what you’re buying as much as you can without being there. 

http://www.alpentonholz.de/betrieb_en_n.html

-Jim 

In the past I have used SVS several times, no problems with either the wood or the service.

Pieces usually big enough to saw your own ribs from, should you wish, which I do. Got lucky with a couple of scroll blocks, which were so large that I was able to cut two scrolls from them.

Or, one could always reduce/eliminate the risk and deal with a stateside tonewood source. In fact, one of my domestic sources is affiliated with Carpathian Tonewood. I prefer the lower shipping costs, keeping customs/duties out of the equation and being able to know when I can expect my order to be filled/received. I have found practically every domestic tonewood dealer that I've worked with to be very accommodating and easy to work with.

Golden Tonewood happens to sell on eBay as well, which may offer the purchaser an additional level of purchase protection if they wish to go the international route.

While my own stock of spruce that I cut,  was still drying a couple of years ago I used Bachmann spruce mostly. Great selection of wood, newly cut and older one, which goes back to some 20 years or so, if you are looking something like that. I did pick it personaly though. 

On 9/7/2018 at 8:54 PM, TedN said:

Catalin Murgoci at Carpathian is NOT sketchy. He has gotten savvy and updated to a mobile website and electronic payments the last few years, but he has been promising and delivering great wood to me since the dollar meant something against the euro ten years ago. He has always treated me with respect and understanding, even when a wire got twisted up on my end after he had shipped quite a large pallet of poplar and maple. I can’t recommend him highly enough.

Reading through this, it seems like Ted is now spoilt for choice if he wants to order some European wood.
Nice to read some positive things on M'net for a change!

I enjoyed reading Mendicus' story, and now have visions of a bus full of wood, with nowhere for the passengers to sit :lol:

10 hours ago, Christopher Jacoby said:

Catalin Murgoci at Carpathian is NOT sketchy. He has gotten savvy and updated to a mobile website and electronic payments the last few years, but he has been promising and delivering great wood to me since the dollar meant something against the euro ten years ago. He has always treated me with respect and understanding, even when a wire got twisted up on my end after he had shipped quite a large pallet of poplar and maple. I can’t recommend him highly enough.