Sign in to follow this  

Another 5 string Sultana

Made some changes to this one and hopefully it will sound as good as the first. The first one has been sold to a fine fiddler. I wasn't sure if it would because of the unusual scroll but go figure.

This one will have a traditional scroll of quilted bigleaf.

001.JPG.cb9dcf005e33321878db18ef193bca4d.JPG

003.JPG.b174ff94ed6fd700db51eaf3d13c8e6a.JPG

I cannot wait to see the final product . thanks for sharing . and congrats on the sale hopefully you have gotten enough to pay for the band aid that you used. :D

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, Urban Luthier said:

That is a seriously cool looking back, nice work -- quilted maple? 

Yes. I thought I'd use this back while experimenting with some arching changes. This is my first time carving quilted bigleaf. It's some seriously fun stuff.

Progressing along...back is done and on this one I'm using a one piece top.

I'm taking note of the arching changes that I've made compared to the first to see what influence that may have. I'm lowering both front and back arches 2mm and moving the recurve inward.. I've also shortened the length 5mm. Bout widths are unchanged.

001.JPG.0e775c5350dc51ebb6c85735698b3465.JPG003.JPG.7be4cd96c3674ee55ecdac7c2bac5e1a.JPG

7 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

Progressing along...back is done and on this one I'm using a one piece top.

I'm taking note of the arching changes that I've made compared to the first to see what influence that may have. I'm lowering both front and back arches 2mm and moving the recurve inward. I've also shortened the length 5mm. Bout widths are unchanged.

Why are you making these changes?

17 hours ago, Marty Kasprzyk said:

I screwed up.  I should have said "Why are you making these changes in those directions?"

The first Sultana specs leaned more towards a viola and this one I want to be more violinish.

So the lower arching/neck projection and shorter overall length will allow the use of a violin bridge and tailpiece and a lighter neck and fingerboard.

One of the things I like about building 5 strings is the ability to design the fiddle in either direction.

I ran out of varnish two years ago and this week I was able to cook and restock my supply of ground and colored oil varnishes. I cooked the ground varnish this time to behave like Magister vernice liquida but instead of using sandarac I chose burgundy pitch. The colored varnish is a long cooked raw Aleppo pine resin in linseed oil. Both of these varnishes have a long open time.

007.JPG.556e014a8c29104fe235d52d24f47560.JPG