Sign in to follow this  
Urban Luthier

Cello Graduations for Poplar Backs & Beech Ribs

15 hours ago, nathan slobodkin said:

As has been discussed before there are many species of the Salix and Populus families sold commercially as Poplar. I have seen cotton wood from Western Canada sold for instruments and would definitely not use it myself while tulip polar is actually of the magnolia family and in my experience is the densest and heaviest of all the commercial "poplars".

I suspect the species accounts for the difference between your two sets of ribs not the sawing.

Any idea how to identify a pice of poplar by looking at it? I'm curious about the piece I posted above. As for the ribs, I may have enough thickness in the wedge for the ribs, if not I'll look for some nice beech.

On 7/9/2019 at 5:07 AM, nathan slobodkin said:

Just looking at this thread again. I had one of my cellos show up in my shop for appraisal that had a two piece, quartered black willow back and quartered ribs.15 years old, no deformation or other issues and now on the list of my better instruments.

Hopfully it will stand the test of time like the Castelbarco Strad cello. Over 300 years old with not a single crack in the ribs!