Sign in to follow this  
Landolfi

Interesting violin with Strad label

1 minute ago, Bill Merkel said:

Why is the wear to the left of the tailpiece so smooth and rounded?  It looks like someone at some point wanted it that way.

it must have had the same chinrest for a very long time

5 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

Why is the wear to the left of the tailpiece so smooth and rounded?  It looks like someone at some point wanted it that way.

Strad heavily antiqued his violins in order to appeal to a market that prized the notion of appearing to play an older instrument than one could really afford. 

;)

It wouldn't surprise me if 150 years ago somebody didn't like the shape the wear was making and changed it with sandpaper. I think there's something in human nature that makes some people want to "personalize" some of their things they have an emotional involvement with.  I'm sure you guys who take in instruments have seen examples.

12 minutes ago, D. Piolle said:

It says: " the head by Francesco Gobetti of Venice ".

Which makes much more sense to me ...

No disrespect meant, it just shows how easy our own expectations can fool us sometimes :)

Wonder why the head was replaced, AS wasn't known for his crappy scrolls, was he.

12 minutes ago, reg said:

so what is the consensus please?

Landolfi pulled a little trick on us by posting photo's of a real Strad (the Walner, 1699), saying this violin was offered to him.

In that scenario it of course had to be a copy, so we all "saw" a copy -_-

36 minutes ago, Dwight Brown said:

I have once again proven that I can't see anything!

I couldn't tell a 1699 arch from a speed bump, so you're still way ahead of me :lol:

Either that, or Landolfi is himself the subject of a scam, whereby he is offered the violin online:

"I have this lovely Stradivarius, it's been in my family a long time, and we want to sell,  I think it's worth about 4 Million, but you can have it for $50K, but we need a quick sale... just transfer the money to my account in the Cayman Islands and I'll deliver it in person..."

Works every time...

I think Landolfi owes us an explanation?

45 minutes ago, Ratcliffiddles said:

Either that, or Landolfi is himself the subject of a scam, whereby he is offered the violin online:

"I have this lovely Stradivarius, it's been in my family a long time, and we want to sell,  I think it's worth about 4 Million, but you can have it for $50K, but we need a quick sale... just transfer the money to my account in the Cayman Islands and I'll deliver it in person..."

Works every time...

I think Landolfi owes us an explanation?

Relatively new member Landolfi has previously been caught deceiving and lying in his posts. Seems to be a personality thing.

24 minutes ago, Guido said:

Relatively new member Landolfi has previously been caught deceiving and lying in his posts. Seems to be a personality thing.

Maybe it's someone trying to score some points against "the yahoos at Maestronet."  It's interesting that some of the most expert "yahoos" here have avoided responding to this thread.  

Before the feeds went crazy, i would like to make a few points

1. This violin was indeed offered to me, as a 18th/19th century high quality Italian fiddle

2. Because the offered price was way low (within my budget of $25,000), yet from the photos i received looked so real, i became suspicious about it, and therefore trying to do my due diligence and posted the question here to gather opinions

3. Thank you for finding the source of where the photos came from, and save me money from scam.  

4. I am still looking for a nice old Italian violin, and if you have one for sell under $25,000, please let me know via private message.  

29 minutes ago, Landolfi said:

I am still looking for a nice old Italian violin, and if you have one for sell under $25,000, please let me know via private message.  

You are just asking to be scammed again. Go to a reputable dealer or auction house. It is worth a few plane tickets to find what your looking for.

Yes. Ditto what George said. The www isn't a safe place...7 billion people...some are bound to be dishonest...:ph34r:

I maintain that based on Landofi’s numerous posts “I’ve been offered this fiddle” followed by cagey answering, that this is a personality issue, rather and an innocent poster being taken advantage of by dubious sellers   

How many of us are offered violins at this frequency without running a shop?

4 hours ago, phutatorius said:

It's interesting that some of the most expert "yahoos" here have avoided responding to this thread.  

Yup.  It all got handled admirably anyway.  :)

15 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

That's a Strad alright. What the heck is going on here?

What's going on here is pretty obvious. Seller copied pictured of a Strad on Tarisio's website, and pretends to offer this instrument to Landolfi who has been exhibiting himself here as a stupendous case of ready-and-happy-to-be-duped.

1 hour ago, carl1961 said:

Violadamore, I like your other post, caught in my email!

yahooooo.JPG

Yup. :P  I decided it was tacky, but it shows a certain elan.  :lol:

12 hours ago, Emilg said:

No disrespect meant, it just shows how easy our own expectations can fool us sometimes :)

Wonder why the head was replaced, AS wasn't known for his crappy scrolls, was he.

No worries, I personally don't feel offended :)

When I saw the pictures I knew it (most probably) is an antique and valuable instrument. I was not convinced about Strad though, even if I didn't look at it in details, and to be honest when I saw the scroll , I thought it doesn't look like it is a Strad scroll, even if it's a great looking one (and this alone, made me say it is not a Strad...) so I was not surprised when I saw the description on Tarisio.

Unfortunately there were many scroll replacements on antique instruments for some reasons ... If I remember well,  Luigi Tarisio was reputed to have a big collection of ( cut ) scrolls...

He apparently tried to repair some violins and got to know J. B. Vuillaume.

Anyway, the pictures look like professional pictures from a web site.

What is , perhaps, a hoax is the story of " being offered a Strad " or even any kind of valuable violin, especially when we know very talented musicians have so many difficulties finding a valuable instrument that they could afford.

If that Story was true , I would propose myself as a candidate for being offered a 17th century violin, viola or cello. Just for the sake of studying them in details as a violin-maker. :):D 

19 hours ago, Ratcliffiddles said:

Thank you. When I attempted to use Google's image search on the image, the result I got was a violin by Amati which had a tailpiece of a different type, but the same color.

I had seen no point in chiming in to note that, well, at least the label is right, but I would not have had the knowledge to tell it from either a recent fake or one of the many old fakes.

Ah, I found the same result again in another search, not being able to turn it up in my browser history. But my memory was poor: it was by Guarneri del Gesu's father, filius Andreae, not one of the Amatis.

Edited by Quadibloc
Added web reference

12 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

You are just asking to be scammed again. Go to a reputable dealer or auction house. It is worth a few plane tickets to find what your looking for.

Ditto.