Sign in to follow this  
FoxMitchell

Varnish Crackle Question

Recommended Posts

 

13 minutes ago, FoxMitchell said:

So, ....is it bad if your brand new varnish develops a 100-years-old-like crackle effect within a month of being applied?

 

20180823_231104.thumb.jpg.03e25f27d29c8530bc009968c2d5ea7d.jpg

Was it oil varnish? Maybe your top varnish is harder than the varnish originally on your violin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, carl1961 said:

Was it oil varnish? Maybe your top varnish is harder than the varnish originally on your violin. 

 

2 hours ago, Adam Edwards said:

Yep , lean over fat causes problems 

 

It's plaster of Paris ground with madder tincture on top, and 'colorless' wood ash oil varnish (it still has some color!). Varnish this complex is new territory for me! Should have just bought some from Vernici Liuteria.  ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Looks rather nice to me. I'd be more concerned about the black marks forming underneath the beautiful varnish I just applied. ;)

That's antiquing.  :) 

When it's done I'll show the whole thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FoxMitchell said:

That's antiquing.  :) 

When it's done I'll show the whole thing!

alright and with your sound file! and as always nice Great work Fox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, carl1961 said:

alright and with your sound file! and as always nice Great work Fox

Thanks!

There's still a bunch of 'if's in this project, but if it comes out good and sounds good, sure!  ;) 

(and if it doesn't fall apart. The varnish crackle was not planned as part of the antiquing!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FoxMitchell said:

That's antiquing.  :) 

When it's done I'll show the whole thing!

Those black marks look pretty nice :) how do you make them, and are they done before or after the varnish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FoxMitchell said:

Nope.

But I did consider buying yours, and next time I will!  ;) 

Good Choice, Excellent varnish, I used it on the last two violins, no crackling for sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Emilg said:

Those black marks look pretty nice :) how do you make them, and are they done before or after the varnish?

Those marks in question are from oil paint burnished on top of the madder to give the surface a 'dirty' look. I'm pleased with the color and the antiquing, just the crackle was totally unexpected and a bit worrisome!

 

15 hours ago, todd goldenberg said:

Would you please explain what is wood ash oil varnish,maybe how you made it thanks

'Wood ash oil varnish' is a varnish that uses the ashes from burned wood as an ingredient.  :)

There's a recipe here... http://www.makingtheviolin.com/Wood_ash_oil_varnish

 

4 hours ago, joerobson said:

Crackle is usually an adhesion issue. 

How was the surface polished?

Joe

Sandpaper for the initial heavy stuff and then tripoli & oil afterwards.

 

17 hours ago, uncle duke said:

It doesn't look like crackle to me.  Wait a few more months and maybe apply another layer or two of finish.

I kinda like the crackle, adds another layer of antiquing to the whole thing! I just worry about the stability of it, would hate to see the stuff fall off like paint chips after a while!

 

12 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Just having a little fun. Looks great so far. 

Thank you!  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FoxMitchell said:

Those marks in question are from oil paint burnished on top of the madder to give the surface a 'dirty' look. I'm pleased with the color and the antiquing, just the crackle was totally unexpected and a bit worrisome!

2

Have you applied another coat of varnish after you'd used the oil paint as dirt? If you've left the oil paint a little too thick, and therefore not dry enough when the next coat of varnish was applied, it could cause crackling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FoxMitchell said:

Those marks in question are from oil paint burnished on top of the madder to give the surface a 'dirty' look. I'm pleased with the color and the antiquing, just the crackle was totally unexpected and a bit worrisome!

Aha! How long did you let the oil paint dry before over varnishing? Even a very thin coat of paint can continue to dry for quite a while and the coloring agents make a difference. Your varnish may have dried ahead of the paint as it is essentially leaner.

Nice look however and as long as the process doesn't keep going I'd say it's fine.

Hi Tets, I see you beat me to the punch.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tets Kimura said:

Have you applied another coat of varnish after you'd used the oil paint as dirt? If you've left the oil paint a little too thick, and therefore not dry enough when the next coat of varnish was applied, it could cause crackling. 

 

8 hours ago, nathan slobodkin said:

Aha! How long did you let the oil paint dry before over varnishing? Even a very thin coat of paint can continue to dry for quite a while and the coloring agents make a difference. Your varnish may have dried ahead of the paint as it is essentially leaner.

Nice look however and as long as the process doesn't keep going I'd say it's fine.

Hi Tets, I see you beat me to the punch.:)

That would be a possibility! So next time apply the 'dirt' on top of the varnish?

(I waited about 2 days for the paint to dry - might not have been long enough)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.