Extending wood lenghtwise

Dear Maestronetters,

I am having a fairly nice spruce stored in my workshop. Unfortunately this piece is not long enough to make a 38cm viola which was planned to be made from this wood. Some 4cm are missing.  I know it is quite common to extend wood widthwise but here I was thinking about extending the wood lenghtwise. How good idea could that be? To be honest, I am not sure about the wood's acoustic characteristics and mainly it's stability after this process. 

Any ideas someone?

Thanks in advance. 

Dominik

Make a violin instead. You should pick up a new piece of spruce for your viola. Assuming you will need a little bit of overage in the length, you'll never be able to hide the graft. no matter how hard you try. It's just not worth the effort.

Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately even for a violin this piece is too small. The good side of this is that the instrument made from this wood is meant to be mine, not to be sold. Thus it is not actually about hiding the graft, it is mainly about acoustic and other characteristic of such plate.

The wood is wide enough to split into 4 pieces which means that joining and matching the grain would not be a problem. I am although quite unsure about what would the string pressure do...

On 8/22/2018 at 8:01 AM, Dominik Tomasek said:

Dear Maestronetters,

I am having a fairly nice spruce stored in my workshop. Unfortunately this piece is not long enough to make a 38cm viola which was planned to be made from this wood. Some 4cm are missing.  I know it is quite common to extend wood widthwise but here I was thinking about extending the wood lenghtwise. How good idea could that be? To be honest, I am not sure about the wood's acoustic characteristics and mainly it's stability after this process. 

Any ideas someone?

Thanks in advance. 

Dominik

Excuse my other post.  It's a bad joke.  I think @luthier has your answer.