Sign in to follow this  
DR. S

Orchestral Sheet Music Source

Years ago there was this amazing Music Store, Patelson and Sons in Manhattan across the street behind Carnegie Hall.  They sold individual parts to mush of the published Orchestral music.   When I was a student, I bought dozens of parts for standard orchestral repertoire compositions.  It was great to be able to prepare for auditions and/or learn music for upcoming concerts using the same publication that would be placed in front of you.  Patelson's closed some years back and I was wondering if anyone knew of any other music houses that also sell published copies of orchestral music.  I am aware of IMSLP and sometimes that works, but often what they have is a non-standard publication or something someone created themselves on Finale or something like that, plus it is shrunk down to fit an A sized sheet, so I'd prefer an actual publishing house copy.  I am also aware of the New York Philharmonic site were bowed copies of a great deal of music is made available as a public resource, but again, not quite the same as a nice fresh full sized part.     

This place has free excerpts, incl. the "excerpt of the day" for your reading pleasure...

https://www.stringexcerpts.com/

This place has complete parts as pdf.  I don't know where to get actual printed parts.  A new member here is a music librarian for an orchestra (pawsplus).  She might know where they come from.

https://www.ovationpress.com/

I can't answer your question, but I can commiserate with you. Years ago we had a sheet music store in San Francisco called Byron Hoyt Sheet Music. When I first went there about 40 years ago they occupied about 15,000 square feet, by my estimate. Over the years it kept shrinking until it finally closed altogether. Regrettable.

I knew and loved patelson’s and bought lots of orchestra music from them over the years

I loved Frank music also in Manhattan, and I cried when they closed a couple years ago.

You can also try Kalmus. They have piles of orchestral music.

also look up JW Pepper. I think they are still in business.