Dating a "Sebastien Kloz An 1700"

Woodman

15 hours ago, Woodman said:

I wonder if you are not far off. A 19th century violin kit? The back lip (but not the top) has a groove in which the ribs sit. Like Assembly-101-for-dummies? Or is this a not-uncommon practice, cutting a channel for the ribs? A tonal /structural thing?

I've glued more than a few back separations but this is only my second back-off job; the other, I recall no groove. I am ready to glue the back to the ribs except . . . 

My dilemma: the groove is filled with glue ...

I'm studying neck angles and such, seeing how 9˚ will be achieved, and am readying myself to make a new neck block ...

Quite a few schools have grooves in the back for the ribs to sit in, including Dutch, English, and French. As yours has already been identified as probably French, then I think it may put its date back to early 19th century as I believe the practice faded out from that time on.

I am not sure the best way to dissolve the glue in the grooves, but small drops of hot water should help to remove it a bit at a time. How hot, and how much, is best answered by the skilled luthiers on this forum.

On 8/24/2018 at 4:26 AM, Delabo said:

I am not sure the best way to dissolve the glue in the grooves, but small drops of hot water should help to remove it a bit at a time. How hot, and how much, is best answered by the skilled luthiers on this forum.

I tried a few things and eventually arrived at the most tedious, time-consuming method. I scraped it out with the corner of my rectangular card scraper. This was after my first glue attempt, which I took apart, dissatisfied, due to mis-allignment and inadequate preparation.

It's glued up again and seems like it is solid all the way around. We're grooving'. We're "in the groove" Geez, am I dating myself with that phrase?  :-)

IMG_0886.jpg