Sign in to follow this  
jacklinks

Violin finds / treasure hunting

2 hours ago, Eryri said:

In the case? An 1898 Giulio Degani, mint condition - with no soundpost.

nice story, that was a 5.000-10.000 dollar soundpost then :)

9 minutes ago, Eryri said:

Back then, I think it was worth 3 to 4K GBP.

yes, i looked it up on the Tarisio site.. nowadays they go for 15.000 - 35.000 GBP

5 hours ago, Emilg said:

Rue, what would in your opinion be the lower limit in price (or range) for what you consider a good bow. The Sartory was about 25k, but you don't just pay for the quality of sound when buying a Sartory, Peccatte, etc.

Oh dear - don't think I can answer that. As long as the bow wood itself is good and it is well balanced - which would suggest a skilled maker - or decent factory of skilled workers - and then of course - individual preferences come into play...(and I am ignoring the antique/collectabilty factor entirely)...

So many variables!!!! :blink:

55 minutes ago, Rue said:

Oh dear - don't think I can answer that. As long as the bow wood itself is good and it is well balanced - which would suggest a skilled maker - or decent factory of skilled workers - and then of course - individual preferences come into play...(and I am ignoring the antique/collectabilty factor entirely)...

So many variables!!!! :blink:

ok lets say 2000 -3000 euro minimal if it has to be made by a skilled maker?  .. and second hand :)

I purchased a very nice Paul Serdet French bow (Brazil wood, higher end trade quality) from an eBay seller in France for $60. It was the stick only. Spent another $300 for clean/ polish the metals and stick. New silver bow grip/ winding. Plays and feels great and total cost was for less than a Coda Bow

On 8/7/2018 at 9:11 PM, Violadamore said:

... but the real winner is an anonymous $50 Chinese violin I've had for over 10 years that turned out to have impressive tone and playability.  Looks good, inside and out, too.  Grinding out millions of violins, they've got to get it right occasionally.  :lol:

This is a really good point too. "Value" doesn't necessarily have to be monetary.  If it is an unknown maker that was bought at low cost, but plays and sounds great, you can't really put a price on that.

I was going through a pile of old violin cases last year with a view to chucking them into the Wheelie bin. In one I noticed a bow with the hair dangling as they do when full of bugs. Took it out and it was stamped 'Bazin' - cleaned it up and sent to Raffin who issue a certificate and valuation £2500! The cases have been piled there for years and I had no idea where any of them had come from.

I look a lot at auctions and have made a couple of really good finds  - unfortunately I knew in both cases that the instruments were stolen so it was just a case of letting the right people know and hoping the instruments ended up with their owners. Sadly, this didn't happen for either instrument. However, I got a reward from the insurer for one of the finds which paid off my mortgage.

I bought a wreck of a cello 11 years ago. It took me to the cleaners fixing it myself. It got me hooked on this business. I got $500 for it in 2014 which I count as a $1000 loss, but the money helped me furnish my new apartment. Repair work and tool sales quickly put me back in the black.

I found a Gunther Von Aue viola with a Bobelock case in a pawnshop in Bloomfield NM.It had a violin bridge, tape on the fingerboard and a gummi  bear stuck to the back. $316! It has a market value $1800-2500. I spent $300 for a better bow and strings and fit a new viola bridge myself. 

While visiting the shop of a violin/mandolin maker, a guy came in with a violin in a paper bag. He wanted to sell it and the shop owner said that he sold instruments but did not buy them. I took a look and paid $40, which was the most I would gamble. The top was loose, as was the back, but the sound post was standing. There was a pattern of dirt/dust on the post, blown in from the f-hole. The pegs seemed original and grabbed wonderfully.  There were gut strings on the fiddle. I'm thinking it is c. 1905-1920, leaning towards the earlier date.

I glued the top and back here and there, swapped in a few new parts, put on Kaplan Vivo strings, and let an experienced player try it out. He was all smiles and bought it on the spot. Later he confided the violin seemed to have a similar  Barvarian spruce top as his $50k Sderci.

I was able to get the fiddle back by offering him an even older violin, maybe 1880s. This violin was then handed off to a high-schooler who treasures it. She insisted on Vivo strings again when it was time. Next month I will make a new bridge for her, more of a concert bridge (vs. a fiddling-around bluegrass bridge with its lower D & A), and believe we may be going with D'Addario  Kaplan Amo strings this time.

yorke 01.JPG