Maestronet Forums

VMAAI Shutdown?

Michael_Molnar

Here is an email from Bill Barnitz. I did not receive the attachment, but you can get the sense of his urgency. 

To all - Although I don't fully/ exactly  understand what Pablo has in mind, I will second his ( and also Jacks letter attached) so that we can discuss these items at the Board meeting in October.  Also for all to think on and discuss:  Chuck has made the suggestion to me that if we can not get more member support and more active members on the Board, that we should consider closing the VMAAI down and ending on a positive 60th Anniversary.  So that is also something that should be up for Board discussion.  I will be off the air and out of town in Germany August 8 - 21 for my annual trip to visit my family who live there.  Good time to get out of town since the temp today was 110* and no rain !!!  Convention hotel and  "stuff" are all on track and ready for October.   As ever -- Bill--

I will forward this to a couple of the board members of VSA and see whether that organization wants to offer to publicize a call for membership and board members in conjunction with the November convention.  I know there is interest in finding ways to partner with local associations so I think the idea of a healthy VMAAI would be of interest.

SCAVM died from a combination of lack of members and therefore minimal board interest.  VMAAI has quite a lot of members scattered around, and has held a very helpful contest every year, so I hope it won't die from the head down.  I haven't yet received Bill's email.

If I wasn't so violently allergic to managerial tasks, I might consider staying in the room for elections (yes, I'm aware I'm part of the problem).

I keep thinking that I'll enter their competition.  Our daughter lived in Arizona, and the year I planned to go there, she visited back here.  Now she moved back here.  I guess this would be the year?   I've never heard any of my instruments played, and have no feedback.  It would be nice.  

I hope they figure something out.  I once was the editor of an aquarium club newsletter.  I volunteered because the one who did it, didn't want to do it.  I ended up almost writing the entire thing.  It wasn't too bad, I got to practice my typing. They got rid of me because I wasn't doing it the way they wanted.  They never told me what they wanted.  They didn't contribute anything.  I thought they just wanted someone to do it.  Control freaks I guess. I've never been one.  

The key is wanting it to work, and then letting it work, and not getting in the way.  The members all share in it to some extent.  At the MVA meetings, I bring things to share that I think might be interesting,  and ask a lot of questions, because I don't have many answers.   

22 hours ago, Don Noon said:

SCAVM died from a combination of lack of members and therefore minimal board interest.  VMAAI has quite a lot of members scattered around, and has held a very helpful contest every year, so I hope it won't die from the head down.  I haven't yet received Bill's email.

If I wasn't so violently allergic to managerial tasks, I might consider staying in the room for elections (yes, I'm aware I'm part of the problem).

I have also been guilty of staying out of the room for elections (part of the problem) . I consider myself to be a newcomer (3 years attendance) so not qualified to vote because I do not know the people or their qualifications. In those three years I have got acquainted with many of the people and they are great without exception. Most are older members that have already served in a leadership roll in the past. It appears to me that the current leadership is doing a great job although I noticed in the last newsletter that two officers positions were vacant. Is there dissension? My experience with this group has been very positive, met a bunch of great people and learned a lot from them. I will be happy to volunteer at the convention to  do anything they need help with. This is great organization that we need to keep going.

• 1 month later...

The Idea of shutting down the VMAAI is basically,,,,,,, "fake news",

I do feel stupid for not digging into this sooner as the time is late,, and the competition is coming up fast. If any one would like to attend,,,, the advance registration will be waived at this point for any and all that would like to attend, you will not be turned away. You just need to be there a day before your event to register and allow the time necessary for the varnish and workmanship judging. Gary Vessel will be the chisel and brush judge. http://vmaai.org/meet-the-judges

The website needs updating,,,, yes there  could be more help to run things,, and in a frustrated response in addressing some of these issues someone asked a "rhetorical" question, the fire started and instead of asking questions and checking out the facts the rumor has spread.

I have made a few phone calls to verify things ,,, and here is a letter I received from Pablo just a moment ago,,,, It is always a good time with lots to learn and acquaintances to make,, hope to see everyone there.

1364046428_Pablosletter.JPG.66e783dbf82e552e6adf5862657f4338.JPG