Superglued crack on a violin?

Looking for some help please!

Just taken in an old violin labelled G B de-Lorenzi. It had a small wing break and someone (grandpa) has tried to mend it with superglue, which seems to have sunk into the wood on both sides.

To invisible mend it seems impossible unless we can dissolve the superglue somehow. We could scrape but will then obviously remove wood

Any suggestions please

34 minutes ago, reg said:

Yes thank you. It is just that I am a bit wary of using a strong solvent like acetone

Shy of cutting the crack away and inlaying a small patch through or nearly through, that is about your only option.

If you are incredibly lucky,  the crack was glued with hide at some point before CA was used.  In that lucky circumstance, the protein glue acts as an insulator for the CA, sometimes you can do a controlled moistening the area and “peel” strips of CA out.  Usually this only happens with center joints that have been glued with CA.   But, you never know.

The above suggestion for commercial debonder is good.  If it is too agressive, you can incorporate a small amount of acetone into laponite for a weaker version. Good Luck!

Jerry/other jerry 

4 hours ago, reg said:

Yes thank you. It is just that I am a bit wary of using a strong solvent like acetone

Sugar, it's nail polish remover, not MEK or something.  You can buy it in the beauty section at Wal-Mart.  Use it outdoors with a syringe or a cotton swab.  The major problem is damaging the finish, if you get too bold in splashing it around, and having to retouch afterwards.

32 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Sugar, it's nail polish remover, not MEK or something.  You can buy it in the beauty section at Wal-Mart.  Use it outdoors with a syringe or a cotton swab.  The major problem is damaging the finish, if you get too bold in splashing it around, and having to retouch afterwards.

Well bless your heart, Darlin'.

2 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Sugar, it's nail polish remover, not MEK or something.  You can buy it in the beauty section at Wal-Mart.  . ..

1 hour ago, duane88 said:

Well bless your heart, Darlin'.

:lol:

Even I am comfortable using acetone - and that says a lot.

I am just in the process of getting over my fear of superglue...:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Rue said:

:lol:

Even I am comfortable using acetone - and that says a lot.

I am just in the process of getting over my fear of superglue...:ph34r:

Who was it who said that the difference between poison and cure is the dose?

Even water can be dangerous used on the wrong varnish/instrument.

The Darlin' was a repsonse to the Sugar, not meant in any other way than playful.

Superglue is like sandpaper. It has gotten a bad reputation, but it is just another tool in the box that can be used in the right way at the right time. Have you ever heard Roy Quade tell his story about superglueing himself to the floor and having the solvent just out of reach?

11 hours ago, reg said:

small wing break

It'll never be under much stress, don't you think?  What would happen if you used acetone or etc to dissolve the glue and clean it up some, align the crack while still wet, and let the remaining superglue hold the crack?  Then finish as normal.  If sg + acetone will cooperate.

If the violin is a shitbox, please ignore my comment.

If its worth anything,

I would not use acetone, not cut away any original wood, not make a through patch, not glue the crack again with superglue.

There are gel debonders for super glue, easily available on the internet.

Or very strong wood stripper, the one that strips epoxy. 

Those substances can be applied from the inside, repeatedly every 30 or so minutes. After a day, or two, or maybe three, the crack will slowly open should it still be closed at this time. Important is not to stress the joint, once it breaks open its a disaster.

Slowly work the gel from the inside through the crack and wipe immediate with cotton buds whatever gets through to the varnished side.

As I said, that's a lot of work, but I have done it several times, and its so much better than cutting away original wood.

9 hours ago, DrRoadrash said:

Medically you would use a petroleum product, in the US an ointment like Vaseline

This suggestion has more possibilities for tasteless and questionable humor than I know what to do with.  :ph34r::lol:

Seriously, I'd be concerned that the petrolatum would invade the wood, and make the crack permanently unglueable.  :huh:

5 hours ago, Conor Russell said:

Be careful with nail polish remover. It can contain moisturisers and conditioners, that might make the wood hard to glue. Any chemist shop will sell ordinary acetone, and more cheaply too.

I meant the "100% Acetone" variety only (which strips nail polish off in hurry, BTW), and only in generic packaging, not the 50% water and additives formulations, or name brands, which I consider a ripoff.  Drug stores/pharmacies ("chemist") in the US will charge more than Wal-Mart (or its relatives, like Fred's or K-Mart). The acetone for removing nail polish is more pure than what you get in cans at the hardware store, and costs about the same (when you figure it out by volume). 

One expects that the people who frequent MN have the good sense to read ingredients on things. :)