1759 Gagliano Pawned for $50

My experience with pawn shops is that if it has a serial number or a name that they can find in the books or on the internet, that they are good. To them a violin is a violin and you can buy them on Amazon for $50. 

A friend purchased a Dieudonne cello at a pawn shop nearby for $275. That name didn't show up in the Musical Instrument Blue Book.

50 bucks seems to be standaard price indeed ;)

This Guiseppe Guadagnini was sold at a flea market for 50 euro in 2012, it even had a certificate:

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2012/01/flea_market_violin_is_worth_10/

the link withing the article is dead, but this is the original article in Dutch with a photo:

https://www.gelderlander.nl/arnhem/aldolf-mirando-koopt-viool-van-een-ton-op-rommelmarkt~a4c42363/

53 minutes ago, duane88 said:

A friend purchased a Dieudonne cello at a pawn shop nearby for $275. That name didn't show up in the Musical Instrument Blue Book.

Did he check to see if it was stolen? I'd be worried about any decent instrument I found at a pawn shop. 

15 minutes ago, deans said:

Did he check to see if it was stolen? I'd be worried about any decent instrument I found at a pawn shop. 

Yep. It was in a dilapadated case, old gut strings, many loose edges, not played in years. When she finds something nice, she usually calls the surrounding police departments to tell them what has been found.

After I had some instruments stolen many years ago I found that Massachusetts pawn shops are required to send local police lists of all pawned items.  So an officer with a stolen cello report probably called local pawn shops that reported receiving cellos.

Chris Reuning got himself in the NYT version of the story...

Christopher Reuning, the owner of Reuning & Son Violins, an appraiser and dealer of violins in Boston, said it was not uncommon for stolen violins to be sold to a pawnshop at a very low price. “Stolen violins are impossible to sell,” he said. “People usually think they are a guitar.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/30/arts/stolen-violin-massachusetts-pawnshop.html?mabReward=CBMG1&recid=189cT081GuCnLMHf3tCGRa3syc6&recp=6&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&region=CColumn&module=Recommendation&src=rechp&WT.nav=RecEngine

27 minutes ago, AtlVcl said:

Stolen from the home while the owners were asleep?  Doesn't that suggest if you keep expensive things, maybe you need to either a) invest in a burglar alarm, or b) move to a better neighborhood?

Or move to an area that burglars avoid, and cultivate a lifestyle that helps to keep it that way.........  :ph34r:

My dear old friend and teacher, Alfredo Campoli, had his home in north London burgled one night.  The thieves took all the tennis trophies he'd won as a young man and the bridge trophies he'd won when older but walked by the Dragonetti  Strad sitting on a chair in his lounge.

50 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Or let it be known that you have Japanese fighting swords and know how to use them! :ph34r:

Wouldn't that come under "lifestyle cultivation", along with the sounds of the target ranges, and the baying of a large pack of dogs roaming the property?  Excellent four-footed intrusion alarms, BTW, and a deterrent to entry as well. :)

We've never had much in the way of crime "way out here", to begin with.   First, you have to get here, then you have to consider the consequences of annoying a houseful of "rednecks".  :lol:

3 hours ago, Ron MacDonald said:

My dear old friend and teacher, Alfredo Campoli, had his home in north London burgled one night.  The thieves took all the tennis trophies he'd won as a young man and the bridge trophies he'd won when older but walked by the Dragonetti  Strad sitting on a chair in his lounge.

Thank heavens.

3 hours ago, Ron MacDonald said:

Is there any resale value in personal trophies? :blink: