Sign in to follow this  
Landolfi

Best contemporary luthiers

On 7/25/2018 at 3:45 PM, Alan Adler said:

I've read that there was a period after Strad died, when Guarneris were preferred over Strads because people liked their sound better in typical rooms that they played in.  These sources wrote that Viotti came along and wowed Parisians playing his Strad in large halls and elevated Strad's reputation immensely.  My guess is that the OP won't be playing in large halls. 

If I were seeking a violin to love, I'd go to a dealer and start trying his inventory.  I view this as much more likely to succeed than ordering an instrument made to order.

It could take days to try everything in even a small dealer's stock.  I recently met Patrick Heaney at his shop in Mountain View, Calif.  I was surprised that even this suburban dealer had hundreds of stock instruments and three different sized rooms to try them in.

Incidentally, I enjoyed the book Violin Dreams by Arnold Steinhardt, principle violinist of the Guarneri String Quartet.  It's his auto biography and his tale of seeking his dream violin for much of his life.  It turned out in the end to be a hacked viola.

What on Earth is a "hacked" viola? 

On 7/24/2018 at 9:22 PM, PhilipKT said:

That sounds like a very fascinating book for someone who speaks French. Do you know whether it has been translated?

I have the french edition no idea of any translation

On 7/22/2018 at 10:40 PM, lpr5184 said:

Sorry I don't speak crab...Is that your final answer?

I think the answer ("Ragus") involves a compound of glucose and fructose.

For the applicable meaning of "crab" in this context, the Crab Canon is something you could look up.

Edited by Quadibloc
Material added, typo corrected

On 7/27/2018 at 2:41 AM, martin swan said:

A cut down viola?

Assuming it isn't an electronic violin, with microchips the software in which could be tampered with, my first guess would be a violin that has been regraduated - or otherwise cleverly modified after the fact to produce improved sound.

Of course, by that definition, all of the violins by Stradivari have been hacked, since they've been converted from the Baroque form.

I note that some contemporary luthiers are contributing here.  A special hello to Don.  I too am an engineer, but not retired.

Perhaps some of you contemporary luthiers will tell a bit about the process.  For example do you make to stock or to customer order?   And, if to customer order, are you able to suit the customer better than he or she would achieve by selecting an existing instrument?

I ask, not because I want to become a luthier, but I'm curious about how the process works.

Alan