Sign in to follow this  
Landolfi

Best contemporary luthiers

6 hours ago, David Burgess said:

I really wouldn't waste my time with people who think they can evaluate the sound of a violin with any meaningful accuracy from  recordings made in different acoustic environments, with different players, with different recording equipment, and with a variety of playback environments and equipment.

That reminds me a little of people who wait until everything is perfect before they do anything, and it never is, except in your case you know it won't be.  Good work of art has got to succeed in different environments.  Da Vinci print might look better in person, but it can handle being a print :)

20 hours ago, Landolfi said:

Who would you consider as the best living luthier?   Are their fiddles better than those from the 17th or 18th century?   My friend tries to get on waiting list to purchase Sam Zygmuntowicz's violin which is like 4-5 years now. 

Sam, you dawg, posting under the username "Landolfi". ;)

20 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

That reminds me a little of people who wait until everything is perfect before they do anything, and it never is, except in your case you know it won't be.

Da Vinci print might look better in person, but it can handle being a print :)

I neither require or expect that everything be perfect. Just reasonable. If a Da Vinci fake will do the job for some people (and it very well might for me), that's great, good for them.

47 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

It's not fake vs. original, but rather how many ways original can succeed.

OK, but for a meaningfully authoritative ID or assessment, it would still need to be examined in person.

The assessment is how it works in various halls, and non-halls, with various players, in various mediums.   But I think success is success and it will make a good impression regardless -- like I was saying you can tell a bit about it under less than ideal.  I understand your position; I might not want anything out there that showed it in other than what I thought were ideal circumstances.  But those occasions do pop up anyway ;)

41 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

The assessment is how it works in various halls, and non-halls, with various players, in various mediums. 

That could be one element of the assessment, which would also need to be done live, to have major merit to most professionals.

What is probably the most valuable violin in the world, the Messiah Strad, has achieved that status without that element.

To me live is the most interesting.  It's rare that I hear the kinds of things in a recording that I have live.   Thankfully grooves don't wear out on mpegs :)  An interesting thing about live is ppl will hear really different things.  If you get into a conversation. By ppl, I mean other musicians.

9 hours ago, Andreas Preuss said:

I am not going to tell anyone what you see as antiquing on the violin in the video because nobody will believe me what I made.:D

I'm a nobody and I will believe what you made...How many nobody's will it take for you to explain your antiquing on the fiddle?...;)

On 7/21/2018 at 9:43 PM, Landolfi said:

Who would you consider as the best living luthier?  

On 7/22/2018 at 8:18 AM, l33tplaya said:

well, we could start and take a stab by listing some of the more "popular" maestronetters, some of whom are even on this thread.  No one from Kazekhstan---:-oD - but includes, in no rank order, David Burgess, Davide Sora, Manfio (so good, we only know him by one name!!), Michael Darnton, Roger Hargrave.  I may have even left off some.  

I have never experienced  Viola d'Amore's retreads carefully reworked and improved masterpeieces,  :lol::ph34r: but I understand they are a bargain and sound great, though I am uncertain of resale value.  I am told many think highly of them!  

IMHO, I'd add Jeffrey Holmes and Jacob Saunders to "Elite Player"'s list above. :)  Thanks for the totally unexpected mention, BTW [Insert Sally Field's delightful Academy Awards meltdown here].  :lol:

I can't believe no one has given a reasonable answer so far.   I mean, if we change the question to who's the greatest basketball player or quarterback of all time, you can pretty much narrow it down to a handful of players based on the number of championship they won, points scored, etc.    Don't we have some type of measuring stick to determine who's the best contemporary luthier?

59 minutes ago, Landolfi said:

I can't believe no one has given a reasonable answer so far.   I mean, if we change the question to who's the greatest basketball player or quarterback of all time, you can pretty much narrow it down to a handful of players based on the number of championship they won, points scored, etc.    Don't we have some type of measuring stick to determine who's the best contemporary luthier?

Strange isn't it? Nobody would have any difficulty coming up with a credible list of best living violinists. Maybe we can draw our own conclusions from that?

1 hour ago, Landolfi said:

Don't we have some type of measuring stick to determine who's the best contemporary luthier?

Would´nt be the amount of soloist playing ( not only owning) an instrument from this maker?

10 minutes ago, matesic said:

Strange isn't it? Nobody would have any difficulty coming up with a credible list of best living violinists. Maybe we can draw our own conclusions from that?

What conclusions would you draw?

OK, maybe at this time there really aren't any outstanding individuals? Alternatively, perhaps luthiers themselves are the wrong people to ask?

15 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

What conclusions would you draw?

Violinists are also a matter of taste, at any rate to other violinists in a field where so much is controversial. For non-violinists, the list is fairly easy because the big names are the ones who get exposure and major bookings and applause from the critics and the best gigs. And they are not always the best, and some amateurs can at least compete with famous professoinals. So it is with makers.

@Landolfi Most of us probably probably could come up with a list of best modern makers. But no one wants to do that, because every person's list will be different so it would not be useful to you. If you really want some names put 'site:violinist.com best living maker' into Google and you will come up with threads like this https://www.violinist.com/discussion/archive/27480/ There are so many detailed answers there, in many cases with posts by contributors who also post here, that there is no need to run the question yet again, to get the answer.

On 7/22/2018 at 3:43 AM, Landolfi said:

1. Who would you consider as the best living luthier?  

2. Are their fiddles better than those from the 17th or 18th century?   

1. In my opinion and after a lot of listening and some chatting with the owners,  that would be Roger Hargrave. 

Hargrave violins are used constantly in first line recordings and live performances. They hold their ground in large halls and in front of substantial orchestras. 

2. I would guess they're better than most. Of course, if what you want is something like Francescatti's Strad then talking to the Bank is probably the best option. But then, that'd be the top of the food chain :

From 7:07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyx1qruT6rI

1 hour ago, matesic said:

OK, maybe at this time there really aren't any outstanding individuals? Alternatively, perhaps luthiers themselves are the wrong people to ask?

If you ask players, you will get no shortage of opinions, but most of them have tried relatively few, and aren't at all well-informed on the artistic and workmanship aspects.

It will be some of the makers, and a few of the dealer/experts who will know the most, but the better they are, the less willing they will be to post a public list, I would bet. Many of us are friends, and aren't willing to say that one of our friends is better than another, or accidentally omit someone who should have been included. Besides, there is no one alive who has seem the work of every maker.

If you are looking for something like the ranking one would find in sports, perhaps the closest you will be able to come will be the outcomes from some of the major violin-making competitions, which are often judged by some of the aforementioned makers and dealer/experts, with various musicians involved in the sound and playability assessments.

No, do not PM or email me and ask. :P

Maybe you need to ask:

Who are the most expensive modern makers?

...that is less subjective.