Sign in to follow this  
ClefLover

Cello origin? It’s kind of fugly...

Here is a summer project... wondering the origin.  My guess is amateur American, Ca. 1930.  The scroll is further than 6 o’clock, more like 7:30, or so.  Ffs look like a first attempt.  Though fully lined with corner blocks, the slight view of the c block looks not let in, nor mitred.  The purfling also looks like an amateur, especially at the corners.  It has some unidentified glue, a sound post patch, and well... let’s just say it was not expensive ;)

EF5BD470-6174-4080-A8B0-AF9F1CBCD7AE.jpeg

4369C295-11AC-4E3C-9F41-691BF748E44D.jpeg

C5C2A9ED-CB4D-4EB5-A4D3-72134EB32CCC.jpeg

49FCA25D-9FC5-4659-ABA1-E5EA4F340BC6.jpeg

4E5B7180-A361-42B0-B686-94533C32FF30.jpeg

061BE189-8E2A-4205-96DB-CF44B60D3914.jpeg

5F694CC6-B9EC-48B8-96FB-7203C8DF054A.jpeg

BC751EAD-3B6A-49F2-9599-0620ED059B39.jpeg

01A61926-3209-4F10-83EE-FCBBFBE55055.jpeg

845997F8-2138-4A49-B0F1-0DA67D5B7614.jpeg

Hmm. I think it actually looks nicer than some of the others put up for viewing lately...^_^

4 minutes ago, Rue said:

Hmm. I think it actually looks nicer than some of the others put up for viewing lately...^_^

Contrary to what most people typically post, these photos actually make it look better than seeing it in person.  

I’m going to try to get the top off of this but it has some yellow glue, and unidentified types as well... trying to figure out what to do.  Thinking a blowtorch at this point

Am I incorrect to think that this is an amateur builder cello?  The varnish looks like it has a high resin content... and aside from what I have already mentioned, the saddle is the tiniest I have seen.  

I can’t get the top off :(  I believe there are at least three different glues... is there a universal solvent or just cut it with a hot knife?  I don’t want to scorch it...

Could it be just poorly refinished one? I think there are traces of darker finish in some places. The edges seem rather flat, often result of sanding the fininsh away...

5 minutes ago, HoGo said:

Could it be just poorly refinished one? I think there are traces of darker finish in some places. The edges seem rather flat, often result of sanding the fininsh away...

Totally agree on the flat edges, but doesn’t look refinished to me... although I kind of wish it was- I don’t like the varnish.  Still completely baffled about the origin. :(

White vinegar, beside destiled watter (you can try that first) is a possible way to go. Jar and cotton thread method. Vinegar will react as a solvent for many protein or pva based glue, but not all unfortunately.

Wet the thread put it on the small section of the joint and another end in the jar. Leave it over night. You probbably know that alreaddy.

Try to open a joint while still wet. I had only one time expirience onece,  with 1950`s Antonio Stadivari. But it worked. I managed to open the instrument which was glued with some yelowish rubery glue. Cleaning the gluefrom the top and ribs afterwards, is messy and time consuming but it can be done.

In any case, very nice choice of wood, who ever made it.