Would appreciate some help with this violin. Initially thought French but now I am thinking not...It has a 13 7/8" in poss 13 5/16" back. I like the scroll and it seems too good for German and a bit more interesting. The purfling on the front is also attractive however the blacks seem thin on the back so I'm a bit thrown - would appreciate opinions. Thank you. 

Thank you Jacob. Guessing the blocks don't do it for you then.. I have taken photos of the C bout joins. The edgework of the violin is quite pronounced and rolled (for want of a better description) and the scroll seems deeply fluted on the back. Inside of the pegbox seems more reddish than yellow. More photos..

P1040821.JPG

P1040822.JPG

P1040825.JPG

P1040826.JPG

P1040828.JPG

P1040829.JPG

P1040830.JPG

P1040832.JPG

P1040833.JPG

The rib corners are covered in dirt, it would be interesting if you could clean them and post photos to determine if they are pinched and glued ribs. Also, the interior corners look to be curved, (concave) and not straight, which, according to Jacobs "cornerblockology," indicates French, so I am puzzled as to why he says German. It could be, that at this point in time, (between the wars) German construction methods had changed ?

There are two schools of thought about woodworm. Some say it is contagious, others that it does not spread. Generally, the woodworm beetle likes to lay her eggs in damp wood, so I wonder whether this violin had been left in a damp cellar or somewhere else ? Once the beetles have flown, and the wood is dry, it is unlikely that further eggs would be laid. As a novice, I see no reason therefore not to fill in the holes and add character.

Now I will wait for the violin experts to tell me how wrong I am :lol:

39 minutes ago, Delabo said:

The rib corners are covered in dirt, it would be interesting if you could clean them and post photos to determine if they are pinched and glued ribs. Also, the interior corners look to be curved, (concave) and not straight, which, according to Jacobs "cornerblockology," indicates French, so I am puzzled as to why he says German. It could be, that at this point in time, (between the wars) German construction methods had changed ?

Now I will wait for the violin experts to tell me how wrong I am :lol:

It's some confusion within here. There's no such thing like straight (surface) = german and rounded = french. I mentioned this for the distinction between inside mould and "french" built on the back, but in the Vogtland region they traditionally used another building on the back method wih or without cornerblocks, and they could be both straight or concave carved.

And yes, in the beginning of the 20th century the Vogtland violins were made using the "french" outside mould often but not always, too.

By the actual photos I'm not sure which method was used, but the instrument with the specific antiquing looks in my eyes like a typical Markneukirchen/Schönbach trade, no matter how it was made. In general there were very cheap and nasty Mirecourt on the one hand and decent made Vogtland (EH Roth, Heberlein etc.) on the other, so it doesn't make much sense IMO to say something like "too good for german".

1 hour ago, Delabo said:

Also, the interior corners look to be curved, (concave) and not straight, which, according to Jacobs "cornerblockology," indicates French, so I am puzzled as to why he says German. ..

49 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

News to me

:lol:

BTW...woodworm is not contagious. But you do have to make sure that you don't provide an ideal environment for them.