Maestronet Forums

Kid tripping to Hamburg. Violin shops?

PhilipKT

Howdy folks!

A student and family is traveling to Prague( 3 days) and Hamburg(a week) in a couple weeks and is interested in a cello. I don’t know what do they will actually buy one, but they’re interested in a nice instrument in the 5 to 6 range, and I was wondering what violin shops I might send them to to kick some tires?

PhilipKT,

Back in the late 1960s, one of prominent violin shops in Hamburg was the Winterling shop.  That was 50 years ago, so I have no idea how the shop is doing today.  But that might be a place to look in.  The maker Georg Winterling passed away in the 1st half of the 20th century, but the shop, in the late 1960s, still carried his name.

Here's the website, but it's all in German: https://www.geigenbau-winterling.de  The current name is "Geigenbau Winterling."

How do foreign buyers in Europe these days deal with the VAT (value added tax)?  Are they exempt if they're just passing through?

reminds me of a guy telling me Sweden had such an excellent highway infrastructure, I really should go, he'd been there himself. I asked him when. He said 1960...

The unmentioned thing is what happens at customs when you're basically exporting / importing a German-bought instrument (with possibly rosewood parts).

And is the kid getting an extra seat on the flight back for this cello, or is it going to be chucked in the near freezing baggage hold on the plane?

Several folks asked similar questions so a group reply will suffice:

this lad and his family are visiting family in Prague, Hamburg and one other place, Berlin, I think.

hes a fine young talent and it occurred to me he and his folks could “eliminate the middle

man” and find a solid cello during his trip.

if they purchased one of course they’d make arrangements to have it shipped by the shop rather than take it with them.

Here in Texas I am constantly on the lookout for solid old factory German/Czech cellos. They are well made and have a fine sound but don’t cost very much at all. One student got a 1993 Stohr from the original owner when it was taken out of the closet after 23 years. Cost of cello, Old W Seifert bow and useable hard case: $2800. I’d pay that all day long.

Edited by PhilipKT
Correction

3 hours ago, baroquecello said:

I was assuming 5 to 6 digits, in other words 100000 and even a little upward. F&K cellos went for a little under 40.000 euros, last time I checked. 

I meant 5,000-6,000. Ha! I should have been more clear.

He’s very gifted, but a long way from a 50K instrument!

11 hours ago, reg said:
3 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

I meant 5,000-6,000. Ha! I should have been more clear.

He’s very gifted, but a long way from a 50K instrument!

Ok, in that case, I don't think it makes that much sense to try to eliminate the middle man. In Germany, any shop will be a middle man as much a middle man as in the US. I can't speak for Prague, but I suspect it is not that different. Maybe if you travel to Reghin, vyou will get a bargain. I know at least one very good lutier there that will male a fine instrument for that price. But that is far away from Prague. In my opinion, shopping in the US is the best option. Think jay haide or something.