Sign in to follow this  
deans

Alternatives to e string parchment

Does anyone do anything different to prevent e strings digging into the bridge? (besides the bridges with ebony inserts, or the little tubes that are on strings). Just curious. Anything to apply to the groove to make it a bit harder?

I roll the top of the bridge over a drop of thin CA (Krazyglue) glue. Let it set for a minute then roll over a paper towel.

I also use archival grade Tyvek glued to the bridge under the E string.

I have put in small chunks of ebony, or white plastic (guitar nut/saddle material), as well as Delrin.  Unfortunately, I haven't found any glue that sticks well to Delrin, so the inserts tended to pop out.  One attempt to solve this problem was to drill a <1mm diameter hole vertically in the bridge, and turn down a piece of Delrin to fit.  

All of those things are a lot of work, so my current method is to just glue a tiny strip of parchment to the top of the bridge. Effective, easy, and conventionally acceptable. How boring.

Thanks guys. Oded, how long does just the super glue last.

I have no problem with parchments in general But I convinced myself that gut Es work better without parchment, and I'd like to be able to switch between strings from time to time on one of my fiddles.

3 minutes ago, pawsplus said:

What is wrong with just using the little plastic tube thing that comes with the E string? :-)

Good question, to be honest I never even tried them,  for 30+ years I've just been removing them, always used parchment. I'm trying to think if I even know anyone who uses them and I'm coming up blank.

Super glue lasts a very long time on the A, D & G less so on the E. But you can re-apply as often as you like. The Tyvek seems to have a minimal effect on the sound IMHO.

Oded

The tubes work ok but if they overhang into the bowed area they tend to dampen the string (somethimes that's a good thing ;-) so I keep the edge of the tube at the same plane as the front of the bridge so that none of the tube overhangs into the bowed area.

Oded

28 minutes ago, pawsplus said:

What is wrong with just using the little plastic tube thing that comes with the E string? :-)

The string eventually slices through the little tube in my experience. 

Have you tried gluing a small patch of parchment to the bridge? 

It has a lot of resistance, it is small, nearly invisible and replaceable.

Regards,

Juan

2 hours ago, Juan Tavira said:

Have you tried gluing a small patch of parchment to the bridge? 

It has a lot of resistance, it is small, nearly invisible and replaceable.

Regards,

Juan

I believe this thread is about alternatives to that. 

Funny, one aspect of the violin I never ever thought about, parchment on e and viola a I always took as a given, probably because it works so well. But maybe it doesn't all the time.

I have several fiddles with Prim Orchestra strings, and none of them have ever had any problem with an E string digging into the bridge. If one did then I'd try one of these techniques to stop it. But I'd never bother to do it pre-emptively. And I hate those little plastic sleeves, which are too soft to do the job in the first place. I've had them rattle when I left them on the after length so now I remove them.