Sign in to follow this  
JacksonMaberry

Making boiled linseed oil for use in varnish making

A general comment on heating oils-  I think you should consider you are working with two temperatures, you have a solution temperature of the vessel contents, and a plate temperature where a film of solution is briefly exposed to higher temperatures  . If you are using an ordinary electric hotplate and, eg, direct contact between vessel and heat source the solution is briefly exposed to very high temperatures, possibly high enough to coordinate the bonds of the oil. Obviously, a heavy plate between container and hot plate would change this. Always nothing is clear and direct in varnish making-

Man, I'm a total noob here, but I was messing around and made something (I guess you could call it a varnish) that I am blown away with as far as the results. I just took regular boiled linseed oil from the good ole Home Depot, Turpentine, Jojoba oil, beeswax, and pine rosin. I was basing it off of equal parts BLO, Turp, Beeswax recipe,  but added a little jojoba oil to the liquid ingredients and added a little pine rosin in with the beeswax. The only thing I heard was the beeswax and rosin and let it meld together for about 30 minutes then just poured it into the room temp BLO/Jojoba/Turp mixture. Then I set it out in the sun for a whole day. The result is actually fantastic. I put 2 coats of BLO on a piece I was working on then for the 3rd and final coat I applied the Varnish thingy let it sit for about an hour then wiped off excess. It's so smooth and amazing. Like glass. Just a little itty bitty bit of just enough sheen. Will do again.

On 7/14/2018 at 1:23 PM, not telling said:

But at this higher temperature, wouldn't you get something more like stand oil?  It can get so frustrating to wade through the information. All I want is to know how to make the oil siccative. Vernici Liuteria, what is the difference between boiled and stand oil? Time?

What Jon says above will make linseed oil dry more quickly.  You can also sun, thicken but it takes longer. It easy to test the drying properties of oil. simply put a dab on a piece of glass or plastic and leave in a window. 

Re varnish making, I feel we needlessly cycle here so often on issues, workflow and sound practice that has been so well documented in the forum.

The bass book says most of what we need for a practical workflow, Neil Ertz shared a wealth of info. Freds posts continue to  enlighten.  

On 8/24/2019 at 8:02 PM, ProdigalT said:

Man, I'm a total noob here, but I was messing around and made something (I guess you could call it a varnish) that I am blown away with as far as the results. I just took regular boiled linseed oil from the good ole Home Depot, Turpentine, Jojoba oil, beeswax, and pine rosin. I was basing it off of equal parts BLO, Turp, Beeswax recipe,  but added a little jojoba oil to the liquid ingredients and added a little pine rosin in with the beeswax. The only thing I heard was the beeswax and rosin and let it meld together for about 30 minutes then just poured it into the room temp BLO/Jojoba/Turp mixture. Then I set it out in the sun for a whole day. The result is actually fantastic. I put 2 coats of BLO on a piece I was working on then for the 3rd and final coat I applied the Varnish thingy let it sit for about an hour then wiped off excess. It's so smooth and amazing. Like glass. Just a little itty bitty bit of just enough sheen. Will do again.

beeswax in varnish?  Do you have pictures?