Sign in to follow this  
MANFIO

Test drive with one of my violas.

After making many many 16-inch violas, I made this 16.3, a commission from Cristofer Schencke, who studied in Berlin with a member of the Berlin Phil.  He came here to pick it last week.

On 7/3/2018 at 7:22 AM, reg said:

...and did it out perform a 16"?

Well, they are different sizes...   I just finished another 16.3  and I am in love with it. Perhaps more body to the sound in the 16.3, good for those who can play a bigger viola.

1 hour ago, Andrew Victor said:

Is the vibrating string length greater than on your 16 inch violas - or just the body (corpus) length?

Andrew, The string length is the same of my 16-inch violas, that is, 375 mm.  I follow Renê Morel's ideas about viola making, so that my string length and neck are the same for my violas from 15.5 to 17 inches. What changes is the part behind the bridge. Here this 16.3 (41.5 cms.) model, very easy to play.

37893727_10204780708113577_648883077111637874429_10204780704953498_8062556171904

Is there a twist to the bridge?  What does that do?  Have you experimented with David Rivinus' bridge design?

10 minutes ago, DR. S said:

Is there a twist to the bridge?  What does that do?  Have you experimented with David Rivinus' bridge design?

Pretty sure the bridge has slightly come forward while tuning the C string (and gone unnoticed).

On 8/10/2018 at 5:53 PM, Andrew Victor said:

Is the vibrating string length greater than on your 16 inch violas - or just the body (corpus) length?

Hi Luis,

I just wanted to mention that when I came to visit you in Brazil, I mentioned that I play violin and violas are very uncomfortable for me owing to the large spacing between the notes which always felt very clumsy. However, you persuaded me to try one of your violas and I was shocked that it felt like playing a violin. So, responding to Andrew's point, it seems you keep the string length more or less the same as on a violin but enlarge the body to deal with the lower register. 

Glenn

On 8/13/2018 at 10:34 AM, Andrew Victor said:

Absolutely beautiful maple back - looks like Antonio's Emperor violin (and my copy of same).

I bet I could handle a 16.3 incher, just couldn't afford it!

Thanks Andrew! Hope to make one to you in the future!

On 8/13/2018 at 12:21 PM, DR. S said:

Yep, it is just twsted, never tried the Rivinus bridge design, I am a rather orthodox maker, perhaps ultra orthodox!!!

On 8/14/2018 at 12:46 PM, GlennYorkPA said:

Hi Luis,

I just wanted to mention that when I came to visit you in Brazil, I mentioned that I play violin and violas are very uncomfortable for me owing to the large spacing between the notes which always felt very clumsy. However, you persuaded me to try one of your violas and I was shocked that it felt like playing a violin. So, responding to Andrew's point, it seems you keep the string length more or less the same as on a violin but enlarge the body to deal with the lower register. 

Glenn

Thanks Glenn! I think the viola you tried here was a 17-inch model, they became even more confortable to play since then.