Sign in to follow this  
MarkBouquet

What if a previously unknown Strad comes through your door and it still has a nailed neck?

5 hours ago, MarkBouquet clearsky said:

Two of them together will serve admirably as a soundpost stretcher.

IMG_0734.JPG

I normally employ a pair of sea eagles to lengthen my posts - just coat it in fish oil and let nature take its course ...

5 hours ago, martin swan said:

I normally employ a pair of sea eagles to lengthen my posts - just coat it in fish oil and let nature take its course ...

Alternatively, if, like Martin, you are interested in a natural solution, but are concerned about PETA, you can simply plant the soundpost back in the ground and let it grow to the desired length.  If you are in a hurry, I recommend MiracleGro or you can even employ a hydroponic solution, such as an Aerogarden.

Of course, one cannot ignore the possibility that, being a skilled and experienced luthier, the soundpost is, in fact, the perfect length and the issue is that the violin is too large.  In this case, one would need to shrink the violin by employing a technique popularized in 1989 and no doubt perfected since that time.

12 hours ago, MarkBouquet clearsky said:

It's best to be prepared for that eventuality, so I'm submitting this video on nail pullers for your consideration.

Ah, a joke!

I thought you were seriously going to ask: do you heed the client's request to remove the nail, and adapt the violin for modern concert soloist playing, or do you remonstrate with the client to preserve this unique historical artifact in its pristine state?

13 hours ago, martin swan said:

These are okay techniques, I guess... I prefer putting the post between a democrat and republican and set the timer for 22 seconds.

6 hours ago, ClefLover said:

These are okay techniques, I guess... I prefer putting the post between a democrat and republican and set the timer for 22 seconds.

Efficient, but you have to decontaminate the post afterwards.  :lol: