Sign in to follow this  
Julian Cossmann Cooke

Poster sale at The Strad

Beware: 

I ordered a poster a couple of months ago. It arrived damaged, the cobbled together box torn open. 4 different e-mails, 2 different parts of the STRAD magazine and no one over there seems to be interested in responding with anything other than, "not my problem, try this e-mail address".

I'd blame it on Trump, but things at the STRAD, in my opinion, have been on the downward slide for a while.

In April I received a poster from STRAD which I was absolutely disappointed in.  I wrote to them sometimes twice a week.  As duane88 says "have been on the downward slide for a while".  That was my first and last purchase from them as I feel they just don't care!

I believe they have outsourced the fulfillment of mail order materials to a third party, who apparently doesn't have a high standard of service.  I finally received one I ordered, but it was crumpled and felt like a used copy!  Would be great to have that poster collection though, I wonder if it's worth the risk!

Not to argue the point, but every time I miss an issue, I email them and they send a replacement right away.  customerservices@thestrad.com.  I realize this may be a different department -- not the one with which people are dealing for other problems.

A few years ago the posters came in a bullet-proof shipping tube. 

A few weeks ago I decided I had to have the Vieuxtemps poster, and ordered a couple others while I was at it.  They arrived in a rather flimsy cardboard box, but undamaged.  Just lucky, I guess.

I allowed my Strad subscription to lapse over 4 years ago, in part due to the frustrating system of getting the subscription renewed, and in part due to the minimal content that was worthwhile to me.

1 hour ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

Not to argue the point, but every time I miss an issue, I email them and they send a replacement right away.  customerservices@thestrad.com.  I realize this may be a different department -- not the one with which people are dealing for other problems.

That email address was my 3rd attempt, and they suggested 2 other e-mail addresses, one of which i had already tried, fobbing it off as not within their scope/responsibility.

I ordered the Vieuxtemps and got it in about a week.  I was pleasantly surprised. Shipping was reasonable.  I had it laminated, and picked it up yesterday.  It worked great, and looks great.  Why didn't I do that before?  

I have almost all of those posters.  

By the way, I haven't studied it yet, but the thicknessing on it looks amazing. 

15 minutes ago, Ken_N said:

By the way, I haven't studied it yet, but the thicknessing on it looks amazing. 

Great to hear a positive poster shipping experience!

Care to elaborate on what you find amazing about the thicknessing?  The Vieuxtemps is well known for superior tone quality, right?  Thanks!

There are no real thin spots. It is very even. The edges even all over, front and back at just under 4 mm.  The back gets quite low, 2.4 or so, quickly all the way across the bouts, and inside the purfling at the c's.  The center is all 4-4.7.  The belly stays thicker further in, and is then uniformly about 3 mm. 

It just looks very even, and the thinness of the back bouts surprised me.  The belly has thicker edges, and is thicker than most posters I've seen. 

Interesting.

The Vieuxtemps reeks of rigidity.  Arching is full out to the edges, with almost no recurve or scoop.  Very thick graduations out at the edges, clearly reverse graduation on the top (and the opposite on the back), with both plates on the thick side overall.  Curtin's measurements confirm the stiffness, with extremely high B mode frequencies.  Seems to work well as a soloist instrument.

20 hours ago, Amateur Maker said:

In April I received a poster from STRAD which I was absolutely disappointed in.  I wrote to them sometimes twice a week.  As duane88 says "have been on the downward slide for a while".  That was my first and last purchase from them as I feel they just don't care!

If this is the poster (Messie) you started a thread about a while back, then I think your expectations were a bit unrealistic.

19 hours ago, duane88 said:

That email address was my 3rd attempt, and they suggested 2 other e-mail addresses, one of which i had already tried, fobbing it off as not within their scope/responsibility. 

I ordered the Vieutemp poster on May 25.  Got a flimsy triangular shipping box 4 weeks later. It was empty.   I have sent emails to     

sm-systems@nsqm.com (returned as undeliverable) and services@thestradshop.com (no response).  Will now try customerservices@thestrad.com and hope that it encounters a conscientious human employee.  If anyone else has a different strad email address that they have had success using, please post so that I can try it also.  Thanks

As just a very incidental point: The Strad, while it looked very different back then, was around in the Victorian era.

At the time when it was getting started, one of the most popular magazines - it was the one in which the Sherlock Holmes stories were first published - was The Strand.

It could be that this inspired them to humorously choose the title for their publication. And if things had worked out differently, the magazine under a different name might have served better to promote a more balanced perspective between different kinds of violins?

Edited by Quadibloc
Wording change to improve clarity and unambiguity

Roger Hills post wrote:

If this is the poster (Messie) you started a thread about a while back, then I think your expectations were a bit unrealistic.

I know my expectations were not unrealistic at all.  When someone like myself (Amateur Maker) buys a product that does not have the information I expect i.e. lack of Neck drawing AND a not completed Top Long Arch how can I complete a Violin?  For what is paid for these Posters I would have at least expected an answer to my many emails that I sent them concerning this.  So do you still think I am unrealistic?

Actually...

6 hours ago, JohnCockburn said:

That was John...

12 minutes ago, Amateur Maker said:

When someone like myself (Amateur Maker) buys a product that does not have the information I expect i.e. lack of Neck drawing AND a not completed Top Long Arch how can I complete a Violin?  

These are not marketed as complete violin plans for a beginning maker.  However, I think all the information is there for a reasonably experienced maker to make a high-fidelity instrument, which I think was the purpose of the poster.  The basic neck dimensions are listed, as well as most of the cross arching for the upper bout, and it's not difficult to fill in the few missing items.  For a beginning maker, you need a book like Johnson and Cournall to fill in some details... and even with a book, some things are vague or missing.  Then you go to workshops, talk to other makers, etc.  

12 hours ago, Amateur Maker said:

So do you still think I am unrealistic?

yes, because:

11 hours ago, Don Noon said:

These are not marketed as complete violin plans for a beginning maker. 

Last poster I got from theStrad was damage but not from transportation (because cardboard tube was intact) but simply because the lack of organization and care on their own products..

On 6/29/2018 at 12:28 PM, Roger Hill said:

I ordered the Vieutemp poster on May 25.  Got a flimsy triangular shipping box 4 weeks later. It was empty.   I have sent emails to     

sm-systems@nsqm.com (returned as undeliverable) and services@thestradshop.com (no response).  Will now try customerservices@thestrad.com and hope that it encounters a conscientious human employee.  If anyone else has a different strad email address that they have had success using, please post so that I can try it also.  Thanks

As an FYI, the problem was completely rectified by Kirsten Lloyd at The Strad (kirsten.lloyd@thestrad.com).  My last email from her is below:

Dear Roger,

Well, thank goodness you have now reached not just a conscientious individual but perhaps the most conscientious team there could be.

Thanks for your feedback regarding the email addresses. I will investigate all of these and take action forthwith. We do appreciate this kind of feedback, so that we can make our services more efficient in the future. The Strad Shop has recently moved on to a new platform owing to the massive success of the products. It appears that a couple of the old email addresses have not been getting through to my team.

Thanks also for alerting me to the Maestronet thread. Perhaps I should elaborate a little about the people here at The Strad: the team here pride themselves on working late, night after night and pouring hours of work into creating the magazine so that we can provide excellent content for our readers. Likewise, the team will go the extra mile for the customers at The Strad Shop if need be. I distributed the Maestronet email to everyone in the team here, who needless to say, went home very heavy-hearted. They were very sad to hear your story and especially to discover that they did not have the chance to solve the issue of your missing poster. We are all passionate about our work and operate to the highest standards; everybody here gets involved in every corner of The Strad.

So I’m sure The Strad team will be waiting to hear some positive news and that faith has been restored in the brand.

I personally posted your missing poster over to you yesterday and I’ve sent you a copy of Trade Secrets 4 for your trouble.

With all best wishes from The Strad team,

Kirsten

Is anyone else a little disappointed with the photo quality of the Vieuxtemps poster? It looks quite pixelated. I do love the amount of comprehensive info it has, though. 

My experience was good. I ordered the Vieuxtemps, and a Carlo Bergonzi poster and they arrived in three days in that triangular box thing. Undamaged luckily. I do miss the tubes, though. 

45 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

Is anyone else a little disappointed with the photo quality of the Vieuxtemps poster? It looks quite pixelated.  

Mine doesn't look pixelated at all.  What power microscope are you using?

16 minutes ago, Don Noon said:

Mine doesn't look pixelated at all.  What power microscope are you using?

Perhaps my eyes are too good then. Don't get me wrong, the photos are pretty good, but I don't think that they're quite to the standard of some of the older images. Or maybe I'm imagining things. 

I happen to have all of my posters out and my eyes are not great, but have built-in microscopes if I take my glasses off...

I don't see any difference in quality; the only thing I notice is that on some of the angled scroll photos, the knobbie at the end of the pegs is a bit out of focus on the ones closest to and farthest from the camera... a depth-of-field issue.