Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeH

Comparing Scrolls to Determine Maker

This picture shows 6 scrolls.

I am trying to decide if the first scroll (#1) on the top row was carved by the same maker as the 5 authentic scrolls to its right (#2 - 6).

The bottom row shows the same scrolls with the authentic scrolls at 50% transparency overlaying the unknown scroll (#1) so you can “see through” to compare them.

Do you think that the maker of the first scroll is the same person who carved the other 5 scrolls?

This is not a test; I do not know the answer.

Answers with probability are fine (such as I am 80% certain that...). Reasons behind your answer are welcome! Thanks!

scroll_comparison1.jpg

I would say definitely not - the pegbox is so much broader especially near the throat, and the turns of the volute are much tighter.

the other 5 are pretty consistent 

I'm new to the forum and far from an expert, but I think if they are from the same maker, then the maker was probably not trying to achieve the same result as in the other five, which, I agree with Martin, do appear fairly consistent.

This is obviously not an impossibility.  However, the scroll seems to contraindicate the attribution instead of support it, and I would think any attribution of the entire instrument would be in spite of the differences in the scroll and not due to the similarities in the scroll.

Thanks, Martin. I was noticing the more pronounced "duck tail" on the heel as well as the tighter turns of the volute. I did not notice the consistent difference in the width of the pegbox sides.

The problem with all this comparisons is that a scroll is a 3 dimensional carveed object, so that a flat side view photo can't give much evidence. I doesn't show neither front nor rear view, length of the ears, chamfers, angles and roundings, tool marks etc., so such a reduction can be very misleading, in both directions.

11 minutes ago, Blank face said:

The problem with all this comparisons is that a scroll is a 3 dimensional carveed object, so that a flat side view photo can't give much evidence.

Agree completely, but it can give some evidence, and perhaps enough in many cases. In this particular case, it is interesting to hear what Martin had to say when the profile was all he had to go on. 

It was also the first time I had tried photographic overlay to compare scrolls. I found that it is an interesting way to compare them.