Maestronet Forums

ethical question about deposits

BarryD

Yes, John London, it's indeed nonsence.  But in the US being armed with knowledge ahead of time is essential.  And I can always call someone and they'll talk to me and tell me what I need to know, because I'm in the club.  Kind of sucks, but there are real jerks here disguised as customers!  And suppliers.  Not many, just doesn't take many!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, BarryD said:

Thanks David. Our reputations are what speaks of us as individuals. 

I'm sure you have made the right decision. 

Customers can be very irksome sometimes, and in a lean month this kind of thing can make one want to punch the wall. It can be difficult to rise above it, but that's what you have done.

On a somewhat related question...

If a client decides that the newly built instrument for them isn't what they wanted, but still want you to try again, do you keep them at the top of the waiting list, or do you make them start over at the bottom?  And what about price agreements?

If you have nothing in writing, I see no reason not to refund the full amount. What have you lost? Perhaps you could deduct some expenses dealing with the situation. But on the other hand you had access to his capital for 4 years, sounds reasonable to refund.

2 hours ago, Don Noon said:

If a client decides that the newly built instrument for them isn't what they wanted, but still want you to try again, do you keep them at the top of the waiting list, or do you make them start over at the bottom?  And what about price agreements?

Two things come to mind that could help you eventually.

1.  Concentrate on the task at hand.

2.  Footsteps costs money and time.  

13 hours ago, Don Noon said:

Hey Don, I have had this happen a few times.  They like the sound but the varnish is too "pretty" or too dark.

I let them keep the violin until the "new" one is ready. Since they had to wait originally I work the new violin in at the top of the list. 

• 2 years later...

Hi Barry, Without a written contract, I would have made the refund in full. You'd have a happy camper who will sing praises of your violin for life, even though he acquired it 2nd hand. He may like it so much that he'll want to eventually place an order. If he's too much of a pain in the @$$ to deal with, send him to your competitors and let him waste their time. Peace.