Sign in to follow this  
Amateur Maker

Frank Nichols Drawings of Scroll & Neck

Has anyone heard from Frank Nichols recently?  Does he post here anymore?   

I was looking for the drawing of Scroll & Neck by Frank Nichols on my saved documents.  I have thought this was the best drawing for someone as it seems to have all the dimensions.  Unfortunately, I found several drawings of Franks but cannot tell which is the latest as none of the ones I have do not have dates on them.

Can anyone give any help?

Thanks

Last June you PM'd me about Frank Nichols scroll drawing and stated you "kept his best printing of a scroll and neck".   I have since bought from "The Strad" a poster of Stradivari's "Messiah".  Looking at Nichols's drawing and comparing it to "The Strad" poster  I see numerous differences between the two.  I am looking to making my FIRST violin BUT want to try and do it right but which one do I follow for measurements?  I have written Frank about the differences but have not gotten a response.  The only great problem is that "The Strad" does not have a complete drawing of the scroll and neck while Frank's does have this.  Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated!

17 hours ago, Amateur Maker said:

I am looking to making my FIRST violin BUT want to try and do it right but which one do I follow for measurements? 

The anxiety of making V1. 

Just go with the Strad - nobody will know the difference from the original (it's locked in a case).

1 hour ago, Janito said:

The anxiety of making V1. 

Just go with the Strad - nobody will know the difference from the original (it's locked in a case).

Also, if your first scroll is so good that it does look like a Strad scroll, we will have to kill you.