Sign in to follow this  
Julian Cossmann Cooke

Peg shapers: Alberti v Herdim

1 minute ago, GeorgeH said:

You do know, of course, that if you can't make your own violin, then you're not a real violinist.

Ha, yes.  And if you can’t epoxy your kid’s bridge back together than you are not a real engineer.

4 hours ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

2)  Anyone that thinks “You're not a real violin maker if you can't make your own pegshaver in a few minutes that will work better than anything you can buy” has never tried a well made peg shaver.

I don't think along the line of not being a real maker if I can't make a shaver.  Where I was at a few years ago was when it was peg shaping time do I investigate the different brands of peg shapers ready made for sale or do I want to try what was in the Heron-Allen book I bought for ten bucks.

So I tried the homemade version from the book and when it turned that first peg I soon became proud of my effort.  I used white pine just thinking it wouldn't work.  I mean, how could it? It's from Heron-Allens book. 

So as of this morning this same piece of pine can be ready to do duty for pegs 41 thru 44 though I should add it is starting to wear somewhat.  I'll admit this type of homemade tool would wear out in one day used at a shop where peg fitting is the order of the day.  Use a hardwood if you choose to make your own or use soft wood and somewheres down the road you'll just have to make another.

Maybe one is not a real violin maker until they can make their own pegs, chinrests' and tailpieces along with the fingerboard.

The Alberti shapers are perfect for a new instrument as one can just whip through a set of pegs in no time, whereas the herdim shapers, because of the taper not fitting the reamer exactly, I find gives you more control when trying to fit new pegs to an old instrument using shims (in the shaper) and whatnot. They both have their benefits and drawbacks though I find that the herdim blades need to be sharpened often! The alberti ones can be tough on the hands, being so small. I have always humoured the idea of making my own but sure look, I'm not a real violin maker so I will just have settle with the perfect fit of the ol' albertis.

15 hours ago, Thomas Coleman said:

Called Alberti today to order some shapers.  Back ordered for the foreseeable future. 

Sorry to hear.  Maybe one of the “real violinmakers”  on this board will make you up one “in a few minutes”.

9 hours ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

Sorry to hear.  Maybe one of the “real violinmakers”  on this board will make you up one “in a few minutes”.

Oooh! Has Jerry just got the new Alberti guide to snide comments:D

On 7/31/2018 at 5:20 PM, Melvin Goldsmith said:

Oooh! Has Jerry just got the new Alberti guide to snide comments:D

2 hours ago, Melvin Goldsmith said:

Thanks Jerry

brits requires a capital B.

As a question requires a question mark? That would be “hoist with one’s own petard” Melvin! :lol:

On 7/30/2018 at 7:03 PM, Thomas Coleman said:

Called Alberti today to order some shapers.  Back ordered for the foreseeable future. 

Psst...Alberti peg shapers back in production. 

35 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

Psst...Alberti peg shapers back in production. 

John Alberti has been in the process of bringing his son into the business, probably with the idea of increasing production, and eventually handing things off to him, so that John's attainments will not be just a blip in history.

Both stopped by my shop a while ago. Really neat people.

5 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Both stopped by my shop a while ago. Really neat people.

Everyone I've spoken to there is neat.  Just got my latest tool fix from them this morning.  :) 

3 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

Everyone I've spoken to there is neat.  Just got my latest tool fix from them this morning.  :) 

What did you get, and how much is it going to cost me?

3 hours ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

What did you get, and how much is it going to cost me?

Hahaha...  Knowing you, I'd guess you're well ahead of my "Alberti fix" curve!

On 6/22/2018 at 1:30 PM, Brad H said:

It would be nice to know which Herdim shaper folks are talking about - the 4-hole standard shaper (non adjustable) or the adjustable Herdim shaper that is a bit more spendy (bottom pic).

I have purchased the non-stock, sharpenable blades for the standard shaper and, yes, sometimes I go longer than I should without resharpening because of the hassle of realigning the blade.

Shaper.jpg

herdim shaper.jpg

Doesn't seem anyone has answered this question.  Seems all are talking about the top pic.  Isn't the bottom one (the NEW herdim???)is a Berbuer?  I have been wanting a super clean finish on my pegs and wonder about this.  Matt N. mentioned that, that is how he finishes his. This also "seems" to be better at dealing with getting the perfect even match on both sides of the peg, to a perfect fit.  NO? Yes?   Another thing, as much as I love my Alberti's, I struggle with using them for cello pegs. Seem's no matter how much I go from zero, to slight in the shaving, it tends to grab and take chunks (I'm exaggerating).  Maybe I'm using too cheap a quality of peg?

On 6/22/2018 at 4:30 PM, Brad H said:

It would be nice to know which Herdim shaper folks are talking about - the 4-hole standard shaper (non adjustable) or the adjustable Herdim shaper that is a bit more spendy (bottom pic).

Shaper.jpg

That Herdim shaper has very sharp edges on the blade corners that will cut your thumb as you turn the peg. I switched to Alberti with no more bloody thumbs.

6 hours ago, pbelin said:

This sharp edge is very practical to have a clean finish att he collar. 

The Alberti design has a sharp edge but it is recessed into the body unlike the Herdim. The Herdim works well, but it is a crude design by comparison. When you hold either in your hand, you know which is superior.

There is a little back and forth, pushing that sharp edge into your closest turning (index) finger.  Ripped mine a bunch.  I have to remember to set mine inward on the on Alberti's.  I like it for the clean finish up to the collar like pbelin said.  

Question for the Alberti's dudes:  I cheaped out and didn't get the skiver (sp?).  I just use the next larger size and push the peg shaft up to the blade to shave off what's left.  Works fine.  For those who HAVE that tool, am I missing something (Like, another purpose for it????).