Sign in to follow this  
tchaikovsgay

Smartest (Scientific & Easy) way of Holding the violin while walking

Hi. I read somewhere "holding the violin at the neck for a thousand times will cause the violin to fall apart". How should we hold the violin while walking? 

Some points to consider:

-not to touch the varnish?

-not to hold violin by the neck?

- not making contact of the bow with the violin as they might scratch each other during walking?

-hold both the violin and bow with only one hand, as we might have to move music stand (beginner) , or shake hands with someone (advanced)?

Thank you

*Here are two famous violinists walking while holding their instruments

Screenshot_(176).png

Screenshot (177).png

I always remove and replace my violin from the case by holding the neck. I have owned one of my violins for 65 years. If I had played it every day that alone would be close to 50,000 neck holds (surely the removal and replacement in the case is probably more stressful on the instrument than just carrying or holding it). I will admit that I have not played that violin every day in the past 20 years (I have others) - but I'm still pretty sure I have held that violin by the neck at least 25,000 times and the neck (and everything else, except some varnish from touch and sweat wear) is as good as new.

The neck is no doubt the best handle for holding and carrying a violin. Holding violin and bow in the same hand is also OK if you hold them properly and don't lose awareness that that is what you are doing. As a right-handed person I always hold them in my left hand (so my right hand is available for emergencies - like falling). Whether my bow points up as in your photo of Hilary Hahn or down as in your other photo depends on the context of the environment and which I deem less hazardous. (One of the business cards I made for my music teaching "business" some years ago had a photo of me taking bows after a concert about 40 years ago holding the violin and bow in front of me in my left hand while supporting that hand with my right hand. [I just checked the card to be sure I'm not mis-remembering.] seeing that, I recall that I also hold the violin and bow together at about mid-chest height in front of me while walking - anything lower or to the side and the bow might hit the floor or something else. It seems to me, however that when carrying a cello (also of necessity by the neck because nothing else is small enough to grab and also in my left hand) I carry the bow in my other hand partly because the cello is heavy enough that I might squeeze the bow too hard and partly because I might drop it or the cello.

I have held a few Strads and Guarneri violins for very limited amounts of time and was very aware (after many decades of holding my own instruments as though they were Strads) that I did it the same way as holding my own instruments. All you can do is develop the habit to do this in a proper way so that you treat every instrument with the same respect.

2 hours ago, tchaikovsgay said:

Hi. I read somewhere "holding the violin at the neck for a thousand times will cause the violin to fall apart". ...

Oh my! ^_^

Where did you come across that gem? I am very curious.

I was taught to hold the violin under my arm while walking/ standing/holding it.

I am not a professional and don't hold it for hours a day - but I have not ever had an issue either.

I have a vivid memory of Isaac Stern striding on to the stage swinging his Guarneri by the scroll!

Holding an instrument by the neck is surely the safest way to hold an instrument?  I am always horrified to see people grabbing an instrument by the body with hands all over the varnish.

I was letting a friend try out a few of my violins the other week..a nerve racking experience.   The worst moment was when the mint condition fiddle got placed on her knees whilst she marked up the part and the bow was placed on the belly of the violin...I was alerted by the the clattering noise!

I know dings are inevitable but I would like to think that my instruments will leave their time with me in at least as good condition as when we first met ... sometimes they will be in better shape!

Anyone else have pet peeves?  Instruments on chairs? Aaargh!

24 minutes ago, scribe said:

Anyone else have pet peeves?  Instruments on chairs? Aaargh!

Hanging by the scroll from a music stand.  Precarious as a mofo.  Imagine doing that with a $200,000 Burgess.

22 hours ago, Andrew Victor said:

I always remove and replace my violin from the case by holding the neck. I have owned one of my violins for 65 years. If I had played it every day that alone would be close to 50,000 neck holds (surely the removal and replacement in the case is probably more stressful on the instrument than just carrying or holding it). I will admit that I have not played that violin every day in the past 20 years (I have others) - but I'm still pretty sure I have held that violin by the neck at least 25,000 times and the neck (and everything else, except some varnish from touch and sweat wear) is as good as new.

The neck is no doubt the best handle for holding and carrying a violin. Holding violin and bow in the same hand is also OK if you hold them properly and don't lose awareness that that is what you are doing. As a right-handed person I always hold them in my left hand (so my right hand is available for emergencies - like falling). Whether my bow points up as in your photo of Hilary Hahn or down as in your other photo depends on the context of the environment and which I deem less hazardous. (One of the business cards I made for my music teaching "business" some years ago had a photo of me taking bows after a concert about 40 years ago holding the violin and bow in front of me in my left hand while supporting that hand with my right hand. [I just checked the card to be sure I'm not mis-remembering.] seeing that, I recall that I also hold the violin and bow together at about mid-chest height in front of me while walking - anything lower or to the side and the bow might hit the floor or something else. It seems to me, however that when carrying a cello (also of necessity by the neck because nothing else is small enough to grab and also in my left hand) I carry the bow in my other hand partly because the cello is heavy enough that I might squeeze the bow too hard and partly because I might drop it or the cello.

I have held a few Strads and Guarneri violins for very limited amounts of time and was very aware (after many decades of holding my own instruments as though they were Strads) that I did it the same way as holding my own instruments. All you can do is develop the habit to do this in a proper way so that you treat every instrument with the same respect.

Yes, I'll hold the violin at the neck