Sign in to follow this  
Televet

Green Violin

If Picasso painted a Strad in this manner...

1. Would it retain Strad value?

2. Would it retain Picasso value?

3. Would it have 2 x or more the value due to a double provenance?

4. Would it have little value - since it is either/both a defaced Strad or a non-conforming canvas?

2 hours ago, reg said:

1 no

2 no

3 no

4 yes

Well shoot! So much for my retirement investment. :angry:

8 hours ago, reg said:

E10000 euros - is this a joke?

Apparently not. Sotheby's is notorious for lacking a sense of humour when selling 'fine art'.

11 hours ago, reg said:

1 no

2 no

3 no

4 yes

1.  Wrong.  That guy that took the Ames Stradivarius from Roman Totenberg painted it with shoe polish.  It is still very much the Ames Stradivarius.  It has been restored.

2.  Wrong.  A Picasso would still be a Picasso.  You don't know much about the art market, do you?

3.  No.  I believe it would still be worth no more than a Strad is worth (it could still be stripped of its Picasso-paint). 

4.  No, see #1 and #2, above.

3 hours ago, Televet said:

Apparently not. Sotheby's is notorious for lacking a sense of humour when selling 'fine art'.

IMHO, they'd have good reason to laugh their butts off over this item. :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Rue said:

....it would have been vandalism, and my well-known opinion of him would decline even further.  :ph34r::lol:

5 hours ago, Violadamore said:

....it would have been vandalism, and my well-known opinion of him would decline even further.  :ph34r::lol:

^_^

8 hours ago, palousian said:

...2.  Wrong.  A Picasso would still be a Picasso.  You don't know much about the art market, do you?.

...considers suing University over the perceived inadequacies of her Fine Art degree curriculum...

...considers taking psychology courses starting with "General Personality Disorders"...

...considers a second cup of coffee...

2 hours ago, Rue said:

^_^

...considers suing University over the perceived inadequacies of her Fine Art degree curriculum...

...considers taking psychology courses starting with "General Personality Disorders"...

...considers a second cup of coffee...

Palousian was aiming that cut at Reg (sliced him nicely, too, IMHO , [performs a deep rei towards P.]), but I believe that adding a few appropriate courses to Fine Arts curricula (in what I'd summarize as "Weasel Management") from the Business, Law, and Clinical Psychology departments (possibly from Military Science as well :ph34r: ), would be an excellent idea given the current market environment. 

Coffee is a "great goodness".  :lol::)

18 minutes ago, palousian said:

The only problem with coffee is that you have to make it before you've had it. 

It's not that hard to make coffee. You should try it. 

Violadamore was right, the comment was for Reg.  As it happens, making coffee is one of my few marketable skills--my band had a criminal manager (as one does), and we came back from a tour with nothing booked.  But a manager at a place we'd played offered to show me how to make espresso, and thus I survived.  Yes, drip is pretty easy, but my morning cup is doppio ristretto cappuccino.  Sometimes on early mornings I end up making something that isn't quite that.

28 minutes ago, palousian said:

I make mine the night before, then stick it in the microwave when needed.

9 minutes ago, Rue said:

It's not that hard to make coffee. You should try it. 

Perhaps Palousian makes better coffee than we do.  One of my former associates had an espresso machine in his office that I never did totally figure out, and which might have cost more than the XRD taking up part of mine.  :lol:

EDIT==> Yup, I called it for sure.  He's a coffee enthusiast.  :)

31 minutes ago, palousian said:

A Coffee Koan: How do you make coffee before you have had it?

About coffee, I think, it is the same as about Modern art; one enjoyes in it (drink it) or not...

About Green Violin,  one can see something here: https://www.moma.org/collection/works/100550 or here: https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/Lot/joseph-beuys-1921-1986-green-violin-grune-5437360-details.aspx

About Fluxus Movement, there is something here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluxus

About Joseph Beuys, a lot is written, but for start there is, of course again, a Wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Beuys

One can drink a coffee as black coffee, espresso, cappuccino, caffe latte, kleine braune, Turkish coffee, Irish coffee... or one can drink tea.  Depends of one's preferences.

23 hours ago, Rue said:

1. Would it retain Strad value?

2. Would it retain Picasso value?

3. Would it have 2 x or more the value due to a double provenance?

4. Would it have little value - since it is either/both a defaced Strad or a non-conforming canvas?

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. No

The most ever paid for a Stradivarius violin is less than 10% the price of the most ever paid for a Picasso. So if Picasso offered to paint your Strad, you'd be a fool not to let him. It might even sound better.

1 hour ago, romberg flat said:

About Green Violin,  one can see something here: https://www.moma.org/collection/works/100550 or here: https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/Lot/joseph-beuys-1921-1986-green-violin-grune-5437360-details.aspx

About Fluxus Movement, there is something here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluxus

About Joseph Beuys, a lot is written, but for start there is, of course again, a Wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Beuys

Thanks for the links! :)

I am still confused - are all the painted violins part of the same installation - which has since been split up? Or is each edition a bit different and stand-alone? This example doesn't seem to come with the tin cans and string.

37 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. No

The most ever paid for a Stradivarius violin is less than 10% the price of the most ever paid for a Picasso. So if Picasso offered to paint your Strad, you'd be a fool not to let him. It might even sound better.

And we have two opposite opinions - again! :lol:

17 hours ago, Rue said:

Thanks for the links! :)

I am still confused - are all the painted violins part of the same installation - which has since been split up? Or is each edition a bit different and stand-alone? This example doesn't seem to come with the tin cans and string.

You welcome. :)

I suppose that Beuys would prefer a term sculpture more than installation.

Each Green Violin from the edition of 24 identical pieces, executed in 1974, stands as a sculpture itself, according to his concept of multiples ("... a new form of edited artwork that expanded the horizons of reproductive art-making"). 

That what you called "tin cans and string" is a different sculpture named Telephone T___R, from the edition of 24, executed also in 1974.

There is a lot of interesting stuff about Beuys on Google or literature, no matter if one likes him or not.

Ah! Thanks! :) One of the many (apparent) insufficiences of my Fine Arts education! ^_^

Ladies and gentlemen, you fail to recognize that the most intriguing feature here can be very meaningful to a leprechaun... therefore, the third bid might be mine. 

21 minutes ago, ClefLover said:

Ladies and gentlemen, you fail to recognize that the most intriguing feature here can be very meaningful to a leprechaun... therefore, the third bid might be mine. 

You better check once again before bidding...might be surprised.

Povezana slika