Sign in to follow this  
JacksonMaberry

CT Scans - Costs, Crowdfunding, etc

Here's a thought that has occurred to me many times: "gee, I'd like to study x instrument in y museum or collection, I should check if there are CT scans of it"

Much more often than not, there are not scans of the instrument in question. I realize that this is the case for a reason, namely that it's expensive to get access to the instrument, the equipment, and the few people with the specific knowledge required to take and render usable scans. 

I am sure that many of you have experienced the same thing. Perhaps if enough people come together, though, we could do something about it. Provided we know what we want scanned, who we want to scan it, and how much it would all cost, we could go about getting the money together to do it, and crowdfunding seems the obvious 21st century way to do it. 

Please share your thoughts.

Yes, it would be nice if we could get CT scans, wood densities, high-res photos, FFT spectra, and good recordings of all the instruments we happen to think might be interesting.  And, yes, the logistics of getting that done, for even one instrument, are daunting.

It is great to have some of that done for some instruments.  Titian, Plowden, Vieuxtemps are some decent references.  There are plenty of The Strad posters with outlines, archings, and graduations to varying degrees as well.

If someone is attempting a precise copy of a particular instrument, having every possible detail of the aesthetics, construction, wood, and sound might be important.  Personally, I'm not all that motivated to attempt a copy of ultimate precision, and am satisfied with the variety of instruments that have been documented to varying degrees of precision... combined with the hands-on examination of good instruments.

One deficiency in my opinion is that even with CT scans, the full 3-D surface information is pared down to give arching at a few selected zones.  How the shape flows from one section to another is lost, and it would be much better to have a 3-D cast or CNC copy of the shape to work from.

In summary, I think I have what I need to work with, but always want more.

3 minutes ago, Don Noon said:

I'm not all that motivated to attempt a copy of ultimate precision, and am satisfied with the variety of instruments that have been documented to varying degrees of precision... combined with the hands-on examination of good instruments

I feel precisely the same way. What I am motivated to do is make as detailed as study as possible of the architecture of an instrument so I can understand "the rules" at play, then take things from there. So far, the CT scans, even with their limitations, seem to me the most trustworthy resource. 

9 hours ago, Don Noon said:

One deficiency in my opinion is that even with CT scans, the full 3-D surface information is pared down to give arching at a few selected zones.  How the shape flows from one section to another is lost, and it would be much better to have a 3-D cast or CNC copy of the shape to work from.

So could the plates be laser scanned to generate a 3D printer file or CNC file to be shared?

I like this idea, but especially if some of the most important violas could be scanned. E.g. Amihai Grosz's Da Salo, the Primrose Andrea Guarneri, the Mahler Strad (specifically), the "Duport" Maggini, the "Edwards" Da Salo and the 1757 Guadagnini in the collection of the Royal Academy of Music in London; James Dunham's Da Salo... Just the beginnings of a wish list!

Good list! Yes, the money has been in producing good scans of Strad and del Gesu, which is great, but the rest of the pantheon has not received the same attention. I'd like to see more Brescians, Stainer, the Venetian masters, some of the Milanese, and most of all, the Amatis!!

Hi all.

I'm in between all those things. Maybe I can help you. Both for industrial scanning in Modena (where Messie and Cristiani were scanned) and both for data post-processing (stl, reverse, thickness maps) of CTscan made elsewhere in the world. I worked both on medical and industrial scan.

Modal and Sound Analysis (Curtin rig and internal sound pressure FFT analysis) are in my background too.

It's a while that I'm planning to share something on MN about it.

Hi JacksonMaberry!

You are welcome.

Pietro Guarneri is a good example, also Montagnana or Matteo Gofriller (Goffriller.. or whatever) would be great, speaking about violins.

Does anybody know something about paternity and history of the Gofriller Cello hosted in La Pietà in Venice? I saw it and I guess it's not in very good condition but it's a nice one. Maybe for Cello is a little bit more difficult (not for scan, but for finding a model of interest for many builders)

Do you already have a personal preference on a specific instrument?

I'm a shameless Stainer enthusiast. The 1679 thar Hargrave profiled for the Strad many years ago, as well as the 1668 in the NMM would be an incredible pair of scans to have, being that they survive in practically unaltered condition.

I'm also quite interested in the earlier instruments in the Hill collection at the Ashmolean, especially the Carlo IX Andrea Amati and the Giovanni Maria lira da braccio. 

In general, my interest lies with pre - Stradivari violins. 

3 hours ago, francesco piasentini said:

Do you already have a personal preference on a specific instrument?

If you could get a hold of it I would love to see scans of the 'Lord Wilton' Guarneri!  :) 

49 minutes ago, Ethan Ford Heath said:

And Yitzhak Schotten's Linerol viola, converted from Viola da Braccia. That would be an interesting resource for adventurous viola makers.

I second this. I'm currently developing a small viola model from the Giovanni Maria.