Sign in to follow this  
arglebargle

Viola strings

I'm curious what kind of strings people generally use for the initial set-up for a new viola. I always use dominants for the initial violin set-up, and go from there, but I know Doms are not really favored by violists (?).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I like Dominants, there are still quite a few players that use them although it might be a shrinking population.

I see a lot of players with Larsen, but those that don't like them hate them. I think the same can be said with Evahs.

Most players are familiar enough with Helicores. I think if you want your instrument to be showable to many different players then Dominants and Helicores might be still be good choices. Havent tried any Warchals on viola, maybe give them a try.

What is your string length? A bit longer than 375 and I would go with Dominants, shorter then I would lean towards higher tension.

I like Dominants (with the exception of the A string, that I used to change for a Larsen or Jargar A) but they are rarely used by professionals today, so I don't use them anymore in the violas I make.

An important thing when you show a viola to a musician is that he has an idea about the strings you used in your viola. If the strings are unknown, the player will have more difficulty in evaluating the instrument.

That's one of the reasons I've changed for Evah Pirazzi, even if the player is not a big fan of them,  he certainly will know this strings.

All of my violas have a full set of Evah Perazzi Gold strings, violins too. I find them to be just right. That said I am a hopeless Pirastro fan-boy. Dominants are Fine as are lots of others. My teacher has played on Dominants with either a Larsen or Jargar A for decades and I did too. It is kind of expensive to try strings but there isn’t much else for it.

”Hi my name is Dwight and I have a viola problem.”

DLB

I've seen Evah and Evah gold with Larsen or Jargar A recommended in the past for new instruments.  How do these choices compare to the Warchal ambers?

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks guys. It's a necessary process, but it always bugs me spending hundreds on strings for new instruments trying to find a match. Cellos are the worst culprit. Well, maybe basses.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:49 AM, martin swan said:

I am completely converted to Warchal Amber for viola, though I'm not so keen on them for violins.

No Karneols for the violas?

I also like Warchal Amber, prefer them over Warchal Brilliant, but they are similar. Warchal Karneol are very different, and I don't like them as much,  for my taste they lack brilliance.

The new Larsen Virtuoso are worth trying, I heard them on a viola and liked them. Very bright strong sound. The C-G-D match the success of the A.

8 hours ago, Eloffe said:

Karneols for viola.......i have had a problem with the g strings failing instantly when replacing [twice]

I've had this issue too - as did my friend after I had recommended them (!!) 

I'm hoping it was just a bad batch, because I like them.

The same on mine! Not instantly, but just hanging there.  Was it on the winding in the pegbox?  I bought two sets for the two violas I made, and both G's broke.  I replaced one with a Dominant string.  The other viola is just a 3 string right now. 

Violas certainly are louder than violins.  I like the sound too. Not as many string choices, and they are much pricier.    It would be nice if price always equated with sound and longevity!  

I'll probably try something else.  Are Helicores considered a steel string sound, or a synthetic/gut sound.  I've never tried them.  I have a set for a 5 string, but never took them out of the package.  I'm not sure that I am much for a plain steel sound.

I'm more complex than that.

Ken

Yes peg box and twice in a week.  My friend's breakages were in the same place.  I was a bit spooked to discover the second breakage 30mins before a concert!   All I had at the time was a used Karneol long scale G in my case - I put it on to replace the short scale G on the smaller viola I was using and it has been fine ever since. 

I switched  to Zyex (my previous favourite) for the larger viola at the last string change but I will go back to Karneol at the next change.

As well as the sound, I like the tension and feel of Karneols.  Indeed all the Warchal strings I have tried have felt good under the fingers.   I use them on my violins too.

Gordon

On 6/16/2018 at 5:53 PM, scribe said:

Yes peg box and twice in a week.  My friend's breakages were in the same place.  I was a bit spooked to discover the second breakage 30mins before a concert!   All I had at the time was a used Karneol long scale G in my case - I put it on to replace the short scale G on the smaller viola I was using and it has been fine ever since. 

I switched  to Zyex (my previous favourite) for the larger viola at the last string change but I will go back to Karneol at the next change.

As well as the sound, I like the tension and feel of Karneols.  Indeed all the Warchal strings I have tried have felt good under the fingers.   I use them on my violins too.

Gordon

I have used the viola Amber for quite a while and never had a broken string.