Violin ID Quiz

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes French Paris late 1800's It is a pretty high end instrument... definitely not JTL, Laberte or other trade brands.  According to the Henley Dictionary "... maker with unusual grandioseness but under careful scrutiny this maker reveals something slightly below the artistic ideal of the Lupot or Pique standard.“

49 minutes ago, germain said:

you are probably 100% correct haha

Ebay doesn't mean it is not French. A few years a go I met a guy who bought a undoubtedly genuine G Bernardel in a Menesson case for €30 on a flee market.

To say whether it is CM one needs to look at the linings (very high), how the f-holes are cut and the famous signature. The varnish for pere is usually brighter. The wood similar, but not exactly the same.

I have seen Chinese of good workmanship, usually they don't get the edge as perfect as the French, and the scroll ends too early (how to I describe this better?).

Usually they don't sound as good as CM, let alone Gand and  / or Bernardel.

8 hours ago, l33tplaya said:

A Nestor Audinot? Very pretty, but how does it sound? The french violins I have tried looked great, but in the end, most just break your heart.  

We have a winner. 1883 N. Audinot. Sound is superb!!! 

How can a 135 year old violin with a superb sound have so little wear? There's no evidence of wear around the bridge feet. It looks like the bridge was placed there a week ago. Was no one interested in playing this for 135 years? Is this Audinot's "Messiah?" 

2 hours ago, MarkBouquet clearsky said:

How can a 135 year old violin with a superb sound have so little wear?

I have a fine violin from 1892 that looks almost new. It is a wonderful violin by a well-known maker, but it was never played much, just "kept in the family" and passed along by inheritance. I assume that the old fiberboard case it came in was original, and it was also in remarkably good condition. 

11 hours ago, l33tplaya said:

The french violins I have tried looked great, but in the end, most just break your heart.  

Always nice to add a romantic touch to discussions of French violins. :)

LOL.

I have a ~ 1910 fancy trade violin. It looks pretty good too. More wear than the OP's violin, but not "worn out" by any means.

Many items are treasured and not used - or forgotten about and not used. Or maybe it was new "old stock" for most of its life.

1 hour ago, fiddlecollector said:

Next time hide the label:) Looking at it it could have been by any number of French makers.

Had the same reaction.  :)   

BTW: I believe your Henley Dictionary quote was close, but slightly off.

For the person asking about preservation: I've seen a good number of late 19th century French fiddles in similar condition.  The varnish often holds up pretty well on these critters and they tend to sound much better than they may have at conception with a modern neck set... and maybe a bar.