Sign in to follow this  
Williamwilkanowski

PLEASE Help Me Find a Fine Tuner!

Here is a picture of a similar violin to mine: https://maestronet.com/forum/uploads/monthly_04_2013/post-48427-0-23085400-1367176304.jpg

I currently only have the original, gold E-fine tuner, and NEED AN A FINE TUNER, however don't want the bulky and amateurish-looking fine tuner seen here: https://hpgmusical.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1000x1000/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/i/micro-afinador-violino-dourado-fixo-cremona_1__2.jpg

I use EVAH GOLDS and DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE MY TAILPIECE.

What are my options?

Edited by Williamwilkanowski

One option would be to SELL YOUR VIOLIN and buy one THAT HAS A PROFESSIONAL-LOOKING A FINE TUNER already installed. Then you could use EVAH GOLDS, and you won't have to CHANGE YOUR TAILPIECE.

That is one option. :D

Another option would be to buy a set of 4 fine tuners that you like and use 2 of them.

Any decent violin shop, either brick and mortar or online, will have a variety of choices in both design and color.

But I'm with Cooper, you should not need more than one for the e, perhaps your pegs need some work.

Do you want tuners on all four strings?  The Evah gold strings are really not meant for tuners on the G.D,A. Most forlks just have a tuner on the top string for Viola and Violin.  If you want them on all four I would change the tailpiece for one with built in tuners.

DLB

I'm trying to think if I've ever seen attachable tuners, besides the clunky ones you pictured, that will accommodate a thick ball end of a synthetic string.

3 hours ago, henrypeacham said:

IMHO Wittner fine tuners are best in terms of manufacturing and machining quality.

Wittner Fine Tuners

"Hill" styles. Also color choices, ball or loop, etc.

I agree.  Nice, Hill style fine tuners - plus since it's coming from Johnson Strings, per the link, you'll also start getting their catalog.  There'll be lots of tempting eye candy to enjoy. 

1 hour ago, Barry J. Griffiths said:

You can try one of these: they’re called Piccolo tuners

E93B4468-6168-43C2-B499-74BE7B9B1564.jpeg

8BC7CF1C-4528-4E3D-B9E0-863A8E2F6BB4.jpeg

Assuming a Ball A... (pretty sure they don't offer a loop A?) something similar to this style would be the best way to go with out changing your tailpiece. If you want to take the ball off and use a loop fine tuner (not really the best way to go) I would recommend the Gotz over the Wittner. Wittner does make one similar to this, believe its called a uni tuner for ball or loop, haven't used one, someone else can probably comment on how well they work.

The other question is why is the A proving so difficult that you need a fine tuner, but not the G & D? 

I second the recommendation for the Götz tuner (if you use a loop A string).

If you are planning on continuing to use a ball A string and want a fine tuner that will not modify the afterlength, then use this one from Stradpet:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/New-Arrival-Stradpet-violin-built-in-titanium-fine-tuner-set-for-BALL-end-string-Violin-and/1703074_32818007426.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.1fc7751bT6w2h5

If you don't mind having a couple small holes drilled in your tailpiece, then you could have your luthier install 2 of these, for your A and E strings:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/STRADPET-Built-in-Titanium-Lever-Fine-Tuner-Set-for-Violin-one-tuner-with-its-screws-Violin/1703074_32837208885.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.1fc7751bT6w2h5