Ever seen anything like this?

We watched Steve Martin and Martin Short on Netflix last night.  The fiddle player, Nicky Sanders (I looked him up and he was the concertmaster of The Young People's Symphony Orchestra in Berkley in his younger days) had a very strange fingerboard.  My wife asked, "What is that black thing?"  I said,  "The weirdest fingerboard I've ever seen."

Do you agree?

_dsc4779_0.thumb.jpg.db1a96b41ec3f2b7f42274cbdc050591.jpg

23 minutes ago, Michael Jennings said:

sure looks like a mandolin or archtop guitar pick guard.

Perhaps he gets out his Bluechip flatpick and does some heavy chord comping on occasion:ph34r:

Exactly.

From wikipedia: " He is best known for his work with the band Steep Canyon Rangers along with banjo player and comedian Steve Martin."  See here in his earlier days, with Steve Martin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjiOauPThVw 

Also see here, scroll down, sound much better: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/10/watch-steve-martins-paste-studio-session.html

I thought for a second it might have been borrowed from Sam Bush but I checked his twitter account and couldn't see any more pix of that finger guard.

Edited by l33tplaya
adding video and link
15 minutes ago, Michael Jennings said:

sure looks like a mandolin or archtop guitar pick guard.

Perhaps he gets out his Bluechip flatpick and does some heavy chord comping on occasion:ph34r:

That sounds like it might be the case.  Can't say that I've ever seen, or heard anyone do that.

2 minutes ago, James M. Jones said:

Wonder if  a noninvasive ,reversible attachment to the fingerboard underside, to protect the top of what looks like it could be a valuable fiddle.

It looks like it is one with the fingerboard, and not an add on.  Very cool if that is its use.  I don't think you'd want to do that on Evah's or Olives.