In a few other threads I mentioned that if I had to do it over I would use a grow tent.

Well, I had to do it over. (Actually, I just needed more drying room.)

I purchased a grow tent on Amazon and it works really, really well. It cost me around $60 for the tent and it was set up and ready to use in 10 minutes, and I didn't have to mess with foil and adhesives!  It has openings for air flow, and one could go all out and install fans if you wanted. So, super easy and not that costly when you factor in time and labor. Recommended!

P1010752.thumb.jpg.58dd535414e980acacc37b07d27a6455.jpgP1010754.thumb.jpg.028ef3061a9cdfa89ddecb44b31839b6.jpgP1010756.thumb.jpg.1551556456fbfa312754ddd429f0a9d3.jpg

2 hours ago, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

I have one of these and love it.  When you consider time taken away from the bench, building my own would have cost much more.

Yeah making one out of plywood will easily put on into the three figures. 

If I'm not mistaken, one would need two 4'x8' sheets to get a cello sized cabinet. 

6 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

Yeah making one out of plywood will easily put on into the three figures. 

If I'm not mistaken, one would need two 4'x8' sheets to get a cello sized cabinet. 

Or if you’re lucky there’s an old wardrobe taking up space begging to be repurposed. 

64CE61F1-5DE5-4D25-B595-8D770BD33B0F.thumb.jpeg.cf4c106a0b58fb3df3394a549f03e724.jpeg

• 2 years later...
On 5/22/2018 at 5:51 PM, Jim Bress said:

Nope, whole thing solid quarter sawn white oak (I think), even the drawer pulls. Hmm, the hanger rod might not be. 

Yup. The are lots of such things being given away for free; mostly former TV and entertainment cabinets. Larger TV's don't fit in them any more. I've got one out in the garage too, looking for a new home. But it's super-heavy (maybe 500 pounds?) compared to my sheet-metal aluminum varnish drying enclosure (maybe about 30 pounds). Granted, my lightweight and easy-to-move varnish drying enclosure ain't pretty, by any means.

Drying box.JPG

59 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Yup. The are lots of such things being given away for free; mostly former TV and entertainment cabinets. Larger TV's don't fit in them any more. I've got one out in the garage too, looking for a new home. But it's super-heavy (maybe 500 pounds?) compared to my sheet-metal aluminum varnish drying enclosure (maybe about 30 pounds). Granted, my lightweight and easy-to-move varnish drying enclosure ain't pretty, by any means.

Drying box.JPG

Hey David, would you be so kind as to talk about your bucket situation there? I'm intrigued

39 minutes ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Hey David, would you be so kind as to talk about your bucket situation there? I'm intrigued

Just a guess, a bucket of ice with three bottles of beer, a fan up top to force hot air down the tube to get cooled off in the bucket while picking up lost humidity. 

1 hour ago, Jim Bress said:

Just a guess, a bucket of ice with three bottles of beer, a fan up top to force hot air down the tube to get cooled off in the bucket while picking up lost humidity. 

Not very far off. :)

The box on the top contains a filter, and a fan. The fan pushes filtered air from the top to the bottom of the varnish drying chamber, going out the hose at the bottom into the bucket, which contains water, and a terrycloth towel hung over a "towel rack" (with the bottom of the towel immersed in the water) to increase the evaporative surface area. From the bucket, the humidified air goes back to the top of the chamber, and this repeats.

The lowermost black thing on the outside of the chamber with all the wires coming out of it is the ballast for the fluorescent tubes. It emits some heat, so I mounted it outside of the chamber. The next thing up (the gray box with the black knob) is a temperature limit device, which will shut the whole thing down if there is some kind of a failure causing inside temperatures to rise above the temperature I have set.

The aluminum-sheet walls provide a reflective surface for the UV bulbs on the inside, and also conduct interior heat to the outside of the chamber rather well, a lot better than a wooden box.

10 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Drying box.JPG

Wow, this looks like one of those big things my father used for work in his experimental lab for physics. 

On May 23, 2018 at 1:20 AM, arglebargle said:

In a few other threads I mentioned that if I had to do it over I would use a grow tent.

Well, I had to do it over. (Actually, I just needed more drying room.)

I purchased a grow tent on Amazon and it works really, really well. It cost me around $60 for the tent and it was set up and ready to use in 10 minutes, and I didn't have to mess with foil and adhesives!  It has openings for air flow, and one could go all out and install fans if you wanted. So, super easy and not that costly when you factor in time and labor. Recommended!

P1010754.thumb.jpg.028ef3061a9cdfa89ddecb44b31839b6.jpg

Cool idea! And if not needed for a while can be stored away.

16 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Not very far off. :)

The box on the top contains a filter, and a fan. The fan pushes filtered air from the top to the bottom of the varnish drying chamber, going out the hose at the bottom into the bucket, which contains water, and a terrycloth towel hung over a "towel rack" (with the bottom of the towel immersed in the water) to increase the evaporative surface area. From the bucket, the humidified air goes back to the top of the chamber, and this repeats.

The lowermost black thing on the outside of the chamber with all the wires coming out of it is the ballast for the fluorescent tubes. It emits some heat, so I mounted it outside of the chamber. The next thing up (the gray box with the black knob) is a temperature limit device, which will shut the whole thing down if there is some kind of a failure causing inside temperatures to rise above the temperature I have set.

The aluminum-sheet walls provide a reflective surface for the UV bulbs on the inside, and also conduct interior heat to the outside of the chamber rather well, a lot better than a wooden box.

Way cool, thanks very much.

23 hours ago, Shunyata said:

I allow for bottom to top airflow with vents.  Never gets above about 85F so humidity control isn't an issue.

Maybe, maybe not. Increasing the temperature by 15F will drop the relative humidity by about 20%. While this may not be enough to endanger the instrument, it will mess with your neck projection if you don't allow enough time for the instrument to completely re-acclimate to the ambient humidity before setting it up.

1 hour ago, JacksonMaberry said:

Since nobody got back to me about tent size, I went with a 24*24*55" tent from MarsHydro and it looks just right for cello. Got the disco ball motor in, waiting on my Solacure bulbs.

IMG_20200813_132152.jpg

Neither the disco ball motor, or the Solacure bulbs are needed. A reflective inner coating on a drying box will bounce enough light around, that rotation isn't needed. And inexpensive "big-box-store" UV fluorescent BLB "party bulbs" will dry varnish about as as well as anything. There is little I haven't experimented with, with the exception of UV LED's.

12 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Neither the disco ball motor, or the Solacure bulbs are needed. A reflective inner coating on a drying box will bounce enough light around, that rotation isn't needed. And inexpensive "big-box-store" UV fluorescent BLB "party bulbs" will dry varnish about as as well as anything. There is little I haven't experimented with, with the exception of UV LED's.

Thanks David. Wish I knew that before I drunk the koolaid! As for the disco ball motor, who can resist a $10 gadget that makes your fiddle spin?!