Maestronet Forums

WANTED: Biddulph Guarneri Books

barnesviolins

Biddulph's book on Del Gesù are superb. First for being a non Strad book.  The combination of good photos, historical information, detailed technical data plus plans of 25 gorgeous instruments was a recipe that I thought would be repeated, but I was wrong.  I really would love this recipe being repeated, just imagine a book featuring 25 important violas or celli by the Amati,  Guarneri Ruggeri  families, it would be very nice. But in the place of that, we had another super production about... Antonio Stradivari. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2018 at 12:32 PM, MANFIO said:

Biddulph's book on Del Gesù are superb. First for being a non Strad book.  The combination of good photos, historical information, detailed technical data plus plans of 25 gorgeous instruments was a recipe that I thought would be repeated, but I was wrong.  I really would love this recipe being repeated, just imagine a book featuring 25 important violas or celli by the Amati,  Guarneri Ruggeri  families, it would be very nice. But in the place of that, we had another super production about... Antonio Stradivari. 

It is still the very best book about violins, I have ever seen and could aquire. Followed by the Guadagnini - book with Brandmeir - contribution and a lot of acoustical reports of Borman and others. Another highest-quality source is the Strad3D- project with CT-scans and modal-analysis by laser-inferetromy.

These are the quality-standards. 

• 1 month later...

I'm posting for Michael Thompson who had the scrolls gouges for sale.  I actually helped him post those also.   He is selling his Biddulph books.  Good to Excellent condition.  One tiny rip on a corner.  Pages are unmarked.  No tears or stains that I know of, and I have examined the books many times. Binding is good but with some stretching over time.  The photos show it.  We have informed a few people we know privately before we posted on maestronet.  $1200  If you look previous Skinner auctions this price is fair, and even on the low end when you consider Skinner also charges a 23% buyers premium. I don't know if they charge tax. 

Below is a link to Flicker where a few photos are posted. They give a good description of the books as a whole.

Email Michael: michaelrennelst@gmail.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155974949@N02/albums/72157669463873797

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

There will never be more copies made. This set is going to get more and more scarce now that all the copies are getting constantly resold to people who will pay a premium to be able to use the information.

If £800 is just the going rate for this massive amount of information... geez...maybe I paid too much. I don't think so though. This price must be the special pandemic rate.