Sign in to follow this  
Televet

Craig Tucker Memorial Instrument

On 5/27/2018 at 3:47 AM, Dwight Brown said:

image.png.f8549c3dfb01f2d578ce669fd700618e.png

Would this Bobelock case be OK?  I have had good luck with their viola cases and we used one for the Scholarship Viola.

DLB

If you haven't already ordered Johnson Strings has free shipping.  Promo Code: MAYSHIP.  Chances are your already on their email list, but just in case.

Thanks Jim,

I think we are a ways from needing the case, but I appreciate the tip.  I usually get cases from Go Strings in NYC.  They give 15% discount as well.  I wish viola cases were as easy to buy as violin cases.

DLB

Been quiet here for a few days but plenty of stuff going on below the surface: think big catfish swimming in a still quiet looking river! James M Jones has just received his form back from the Neil Ertz build. As soon as its welcome home party is over JMJ is going to block it up and send it on to Alex I Reza who is going to start on the Garland. Jackson Maberry and Advocatus Diaboli are involved in lots of Plate discussions. Although its still early days I feel the momentum building and in my small way as junior Gopher I am very excited to see how things are starting to get going.

My small contribution is complete.  The belly and a bass bar is on it's way to Jackson.  I still have pegs (nothing fancy) I can send off later if a fitting set doesn't get purchased.  

Cheers,

Jim

A pretty boring picture, but maybe it will get others to post more interesting pictures. ;)

1888095323_CTtributetop.thumb.jpg.6d69f6c44b68879f274523c065a62061.jpg

Gents - thanks! I'll stand by for the garland, then proceed. Just blocked up my baroque and modern forms today, so I'll keep busy til it's time to get my GdG on. B) thanks again to everyone involved in this project!

I've got flamed maple ribs already cut, seven. They are very high quality and are 34.5 mms depth. They are just over one mm thickness and even. Been sitting around for a number of years whilst I have been busy with life stuff. They are not brittle and cut lengths of approximately 170 mms. The maple is in angle tilt towards top plate and was professionally cut which I bought from one of you. I think it was Radcliffe Pheonix, Arizona oh my God 10 years ago. The maple is not bear clawed, it's pale, not red. I will put up a photo as soon as possible if anyone wants them.

I also have a top quality ebony fingerboard unfinished I've had for years. It's top grade and black as a gorrillas goollies! Lol! Not Chinese btw. No damage and a beauty. I've got rib linings, very aged but supple spruce, ebony and maple purfling, well enough for the violin. My secret recipe varnish ground! No seriously, I hope you will let me contribute please? Xxxx

Morgana, thank-you for the offer. Alex Reza has already got ribs under control. Jackson Maberry and Advocatus Diaboli are working on plates. We  had not got a far as thinking about where the purfling was coming from, and I am  we would be honored to take up your offer of purfling material. Perhaps message AD or JM directly and see if where you should send it.

Hi everyone, where are you all up to with Craig's violin? I've just messaged A.D

I apologise for not getting back sooner. Been a bit under the weather.

Well done everyone the maple back is absolutely Gorgeous, well done A.D. And that spruce, that is one great job Jim! Top spruce that is!

Just thinking about how to get as much publicity for this violin, auctioning, as ppl have advised me in various ways regards to my question about the ways of getting an appropriate appraisal and how to go about it.

Well, publicity is using a famous violinist, to play it, and endorse it publically, at a concert ...no, not me! I'm not that famous, brilliant but not famous...I can feel the knives being drawn out...lol!

But, we are all agreed that we want to get as much money for Craig's family as well as pay homage to him, well, think on because auctioning an instrument is a dear do and wouldn't it be brilliant if us lot put our heads together and contacts (luvvie alert) and put on a charity concert. Get Bell or someone to play. And get maximum public awareness. I can organise with others

I believe I have the distinction of being the first to "out" Craig regarding his multiple posts.  I can only participate with thoughts/suggestions-  No one has yet mentioned a label for the instrument, but I think considerable thought should go into it.  It would be nice if one of Craigs' labels could be used, possibly along with a second, explanitory label or inscription.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:58 PM, lpr5184 said:

How's Craig's fiddle coming along?

Alex has the rib structure done, and Jim has joined the pieces for the Front and Advocatus Diaboli ditto for  the back. All the parts are now on their way to Jackson. Jackson has some complications in his life because of the uncertainty surrounding  the shop at the university, so he is currently with out a workspace.

We currently have no-one lined up for the neck/scroll. Mary has kindly offered to donate one of Craigs roughed out/unfinished necks, and GM222, is waiting in the wings to select it with Mary's help. We just need a willing violin maker to do the work. Any volunteers?

Due to circumstances beyond my control (work), I will be near Alex's place in September and passing by Jackson's place on the trek home.  So I will be hand delivering the rib structure to Jackson.  I'm looking forward to both visits.

-Jim

14 hours ago, Televet said:

Alex has the rib structure done, and Jim has joined the pieces for the Front and Advocatus Diaboli ditto for  the back. All the parts are now on their way to Jackson. Jackson has some complications in his life because of the uncertainty surrounding  the shop at the university, so he is currently with out a workspace.

We currently have no-one lined up for the neck/scroll. Mary has kindly offered to donate one of Craigs roughed out/unfinished necks, and GM222, is waiting in the wings to select it with Mary's help. We just need a willing violin maker to do the work. Any volunteers?

I can do the scroll if needed!

Welcome aboard Nick. If you pm me or GMM22 with your address we will get the neck shipped off you. I am in France with very spotty web access so may not be fast at replies for a few days or so

So....

We were moving along quite quickly with a team chafing at the leash to get this done, but we have hit a fairly big snag. As many of you will know from following his thread, Jackson had his position at the University of Indiana snatched from under him when the University closed their Violin Workshop. As a result, he has no workshop time.

Jackson has been hoping that things would improve, but it looks like he is stuck in non-violin work until next August (unless someone close to the university can offer him a position) until his fiancé finishes her post grad studies there.

Soo... reluctantly Jackson has to withdraw from the project and we are looking for someone to work on the plates....

Just a quick update to let everyone know what is going on.

Jackson has shipped the rib assembly and plates back to Advocatus Diaboli. AD will work on the plates and then pass the project on to Alex for purfling and assembly. I am excited for this violin, with these two guys at work it will be something special I think. Jackson has generously donated a fancy Corene fingerboard which has arrived with Nick who is already at work shaping it. 

As we begin to look forward, we will be looking for suggestions about how we maximize the exposure and final price for this instrument which is to be sold to benefit Mary. All ideas and contributions are welcome