Sign in to follow this  
orenchi

Light color varnish examples?

Hi MN,

At some point, too little color or a pale looking varnish looks bad.

But can you think of any examples of violins that have a varnish with a little color (or just barely enough), but still are aesthetically pleasing?

25 minutes ago, orenchi said:

Hi MN,

At some point, too little color or a pale looking varnish looks bad.

But can you think of any examples of violins that have a varnish with a little color (or just barely enough), but still are aesthetically pleasing?

I think the ground/wood color is doing most of the work in these cases. I was just thinking about the same thing myself. 

A lot of very old violins have essentially no varnish at all on them, just clear polish over dark wood.

A pale color which is convincing (not too bright yellow) I think it's the most difficult to reach, everything depends on the color of the wood and the ground.

Anyway, all the Amatis works are a must.

Yes Davide, the varnish in the "Carlo" Amati in Cremona's Museum is the most beautifull varnish I have ever seen.

But, perhaps, in order to use a light coloured varnish, you have to have a very clean, neat woodwork, as the Amatis.

Lots of old instruments with colorless or pale varnishes look great now but what they looked like when new is hard to say. I have made some light yellow straight violins and it does compliment clean subtly textured work but I think more people like darker varnishes.

3 hours ago, nathan slobodkin said:

Lots of old instruments with colorless or pale varnishes look great now but what they looked like when new is hard to say.

One thing for sure: the old instrument wood is dark and opaque now, and new wood is not.  I have been very interested in how dark the wood is, in order to get a reasonable match with hydrothermal processing.  The few examples of old violins where I have been able the make direct comparisons, I was surprised at how dark the old wood actually is.

This is an example of moderately processed wood with clear(ish) finish... no added pigments, just cooked resin in oil.  In thin coatings like this, there is very little color contribution from the varnish.

860844680_Ribsample.JPG.064ca0ef4a7b1e8e4d060181ae6ec012.JPG

1 hour ago, J-G said:

Nice blonde by Galen Hartley (2015).  I like the look, but would want different fittings.

2194-Fr-Sm.jpg.05a66e653b728195aa7f9234735b5961.jpg

That's very pretty.

Ground colour is everything under a pale varnish.

There's only a little original varnish on this back, almost without colour. But the texture and thickness adds interest, and gives dirt and polish somewhere to sit. 

20180517_165128.jpg

2 hours ago, Don Noon said:

One thing for sure: the old instrument wood is dark and opaque now, and new wood is not.  I have been very interested in how dark the wood is, in order to get a reasonable match with hydrothermal processing.  The few examples of old violins where I have been able the make direct comparisons, I was surprised at how dark the old wood actually is.

This is an example of moderately processed wood with clear(ish) finish... no added pigments, just cooked resin in oil.  In thin coatings like this, there is very little color contribution from the varnish.

Nice colour Don

19 hours ago, Don Noon said:

Nice effect. I think your processing has opened the pores and tubular structures permitting more varnish to seep even deeper which enhances the contrast.