Sign in to follow this  
orenchi

Light color varnish examples?

Recommended Posts

Hi MN,

At some point, too little color or a pale looking varnish looks bad.

But can you think of any examples of violins that have a varnish with a little color (or just barely enough), but still are aesthetically pleasing?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, orenchi said:

Hi MN,

At some point, too little color or a pale looking varnish looks bad.

But can you think of any examples of violins that have a varnish with a little color (or just barely enough), but still are aesthetically pleasing?

 

I think the ground/wood color is doing most of the work in these cases. I was just thinking about the same thing myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of very old violins have essentially no varnish at all on them, just clear polish over dark wood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A pale color which is convincing (not too bright yellow) I think it's the most difficult to reach, everything depends on the color of the wood and the ground.

Anyway, all the Amatis works are a must.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Davide, the varnish in the "Carlo" Amati in Cremona's Museum is the most beautifull varnish I have ever seen.

But, perhaps, in order to use a light coloured varnish, you have to have a very clean, neat woodwork, as the Amatis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of old instruments with colorless or pale varnishes look great now but what they looked like when new is hard to say. I have made some light yellow straight violins and it does compliment clean subtly textured work but I think more people like darker varnishes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nathan slobodkin said:

Lots of old instruments with colorless or pale varnishes look great now but what they looked like when new is hard to say.

One thing for sure: the old instrument wood is dark and opaque now, and new wood is not.  I have been very interested in how dark the wood is, in order to get a reasonable match with hydrothermal processing.  The few examples of old violins where I have been able the make direct comparisons, I was surprised at how dark the old wood actually is.

This is an example of moderately processed wood with clear(ish) finish... no added pigments, just cooked resin in oil.  In thin coatings like this, there is very little color contribution from the varnish.

860844680_Ribsample.JPG.064ca0ef4a7b1e8e4d060181ae6ec012.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J-G said:

Nice blonde by Galen Hartley (2015).  I like the look, but would want different fittings.

2194-Fr-Sm.jpg.05a66e653b728195aa7f9234735b5961.jpg

That's very pretty.

 

Ground colour is everything under a pale varnish.

There's only a little original varnish on this back, almost without colour. But the texture and thickness adds interest, and gives dirt and polish somewhere to sit. 

20180517_165128.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Don Noon said:

One thing for sure: the old instrument wood is dark and opaque now, and new wood is not.  I have been very interested in how dark the wood is, in order to get a reasonable match with hydrothermal processing.  The few examples of old violins where I have been able the make direct comparisons, I was surprised at how dark the old wood actually is.

This is an example of moderately processed wood with clear(ish) finish... no added pigments, just cooked resin in oil.  In thin coatings like this, there is very little color contribution from the varnish.

860844680_Ribsample.JPG.064ca0ef4a7b1e8e4d060181ae6ec012.JPG

Nice colour Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Don Noon said:

One thing for sure: the old instrument wood is dark and opaque now, and new wood is not.  I have been very interested in how dark the wood is, in order to get a reasonable match with hydrothermal processing.  The few examples of old violins where I have been able the make direct comparisons, I was surprised at how dark the old wood actually is.

This is an example of moderately processed wood with clear(ish) finish... no added pigments, just cooked resin in oil.  In thin coatings like this, there is very little color contribution from the varnish.

860844680_Ribsample.JPG.064ca0ef4a7b1e8e4d060181ae6ec012.JPG

Nice effect. I think your processing has opened the pores and tubular structures permitting more varnish to seep even deeper which enhances the contrast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.