Maestronet Forums

guy trades markie for house

Bill Merkel

Over the years I learnt to take this kind of romantic family anecdotes with a giant spoon full of salt, or the world would be full of Strads and Stainers won while gambling with sailors etc.

It appears to be more probable that the violin and bow were a small part as a trade in for a mostly cash paid house, but presented to the son as a prove for "See how much Daddy loves you!"

Otherwise the story fits too much in the all-time narrative about "how immigrants are betraying the natives" that it should be taken as true.

OTOH I guess that the values given by Jeffrey didn't change that much, or he was so kind to exaggerate them at the time of broadcasting (1970s?:D).

To watch outisde USA you need to a VPN with an IP address in USA.

It is unusual for Antiques Roadshow to broadcast any video where the treasure in the attic is not worth more than its owner expected. They have made the viewers ever more reluctant to believe their junk is not a treasure. Violin appraisers, like lawyers and doctors, must become expert at breaking bad news gently, and Mr. Holmes did magnificently.

A friend of mine, being a high-level amateur string player, was asked by a distinguished colleague to take an heirloom violin for valuation, with predictable results. It is difficult for the owner who believed the fraudulent label in his workshop instrument not to blame the messenger, when told the news.

Instructive to see what passes as „well restored“ in the States. If I understood correctly, Jeffrey misspoke, and said „end of 18th C.“ when he surely ment 19th. I admire his patience listening to the old blokes yarn, and wonder if he always asks the owner what the violin is first (I wouldn’t)

500 would buy a kit in the white and it's not even put together,  so that one would be worth more if you strip the varnish off and take it apart and sell it as a kit?   Violin economics seems to make about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine.

kit.png

6 minutes ago, MikeC said:

500 would buy a kit in the white and it's not even put together,  so that one would be worth more if you strip the varnish off and take it apart and sell it as a kit?   Violin economics seems to make about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine.

kit.png

This kit seems to be quite overpriced. Chinese violins in the white sell usually for 10% of it. Or is some new protective import tax included (steel strings)?