Sign in to follow this  
pawsplus

Methods to increase speed and quickness

It was suggested to me to do that somewhere, and any different way you can practice it is probably good, but don't throw out the old slowly increase the metronome method.  If you start slowly and increase the speed, yes the requirements on you change, but that is why the speed increases are small.  He's assuming the technique is there but for some reason you still can't play it at tempo.   I can see how that method would help, but not as a total replacement.

Here's something else that might be interesting.  It's kind of similar but addresses technique at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbyPNxOIif8

The "fast practice" thing really works! In just 2 sessions, I've gone from "hit the wall and can't get to performance tempo" to "got it" on several passages! Not sure how it will hold up in performance, as I really haven't had time to cement it, and the concert is tonight, but I can tell it works. It will help to use it on passages I haven't already wasted neurons on learning to do it the other way.

Interestingly, this actually helps with intonation and bowing technique as well--I had feared the opposite. But since you just add one note at a time, you keep hearing it and fixing it, and by the time you add the next note, it's cemented that way. Ditto bowing. There is a section where there are slurred bites and then staccato, then slurred, then staccato. As the line build a up, those things are added as you go, and again, they are cemented in.

In one really icky passage with shifting in and out of half position (which I find hard) I chunked it up a bit and then added the chunks together. But always at goal tempo. Before I haven't been able to get over 120 on these passages, no matter what I did--with this method I started at 125 and eventually had to make myself SLOW DOWN a tad, as I was getting ahead!

This is the first real improvement I've had in this area. I felt all along that it was largely a problem with the brain, not the fingers. Now I have a tool! Science ROCKS! Thanks so much, robcat! :!)

Here's something else that might help.  I suspect your success is due to being forced to do things that you aren't aware you should be doing in the first place.  This guy's channel is the best I've seen for advanced tips.  Starting 16 min. in might especially apply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Z36YJUSrQ

He's half of this channel, which is the funniest thing I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/user/twosetviolin/videos

The 'fast practice' video: Similar to my 'riff method', a great approach to learning each riff.  I like it.  However, I think if the passage gets long enough you still have to break it up mentally into a sequence of passages.

I used "fast practice" to learn a Bach fugue on piano. It still took a long time to learn it all  but I had made many previous attempts over the years using the teacher-approved "slow tempo" method and never got much done.

"Fast practice" produced small but detectable progress sooner and more often than the go-slow approach, which encouraged me to return to it every day to add a bit more to the pile.