Maestronet Forums

Upper Nut hangs over pegbox

theSTRINGteacher

I recently purchased a new violin and there are many things about it that confuse me. One is why the nut was put on so that it hangs over the pegbox. Was this a common practice during a certain time period or was this a sign of poor luthier skills? I have never seen something like this, and would love to be educated on information about if anyone can help.

C3F84127-E8FB-47C8-BC47-01AFC0697082.jpeg

54AAD724-B949-4BBD-8A10-77E312C5ED2D.jpeg

159F8539-2852-440B-8B5A-2F3955FEDABF.jpeg

9 hours ago, Edelsailor said:

What are those groves on top of the pegbox?

That was a different matter of confusion. It’s a grafted scroll that to all of my best guests wouldn’t have been necessary for the violin unless the neck broke.  On one side it is soft and blends nicely and on the other, it is pretty sad looking. Regardless of how long it has been sitting in someone’s strange shred, that doesn’t just happen. Right?

Should there be any concerns about this nut overlap other than just not looking very tidy?  In particular, could there be any consequences for sound due to the strings (especially G and E) crossing the nut at a sharper angle, or maybe due the strings being dampened by a thicker nut?

Richard

Actually, I think I misunderstood the problem.  I was thinking that the nut extended back, over the open space of the pegbox.  But with your comment, Jackson, and looking again at the photos, I now see that  the complaint is that the nut is too wide -- wider than the fingerboard.  My questions about the string angle over the nut are not relevant here.

Richard

4 hours ago, Richf said:

Should there be any concerns about this nut overlap other than just not looking very tidy?  In particular, could there be any consequences for sound due to the strings (especially G and E) crossing the nut at a sharper angle, or maybe due the strings being dampened by a thicker nut?

Richard

This is a wonderful reflection! I have been trying to determine the odd resonance that has been coming from the e-string. I measured the ratio out and adjusted the bridge to balance a 6:1 ratio and it helped the a-string. I was thinking I may need to shorten the tailpiece gut or move the soundpost (but we’re getting into unfamiliar territory). But maybe this is all stemming from the nut. Thank you Richard.

On 5/12/2018 at 12:03 PM, The Violin Beautiful said:

Looks to me like someone glued a fingerboard from another violin on. The nut was likely never removed from the board, as it matches the width of the board.

Either that or the neck was planed down and the board was glued back on without adjusting. Looks rather uncomfortable to play. 

I would tend to agree with this assessment; the top of the nut looks like it was finished off nicely, or as well as I can determine from the photos. The fingerboard looks like it's a little wide for the neck too.