Sign in to follow this  
nathan slobodkin

Fantastic violin

Where did you get to have this privilege ? 

Back in 2014 when it was stolen  DARNTON & HERSH RARE VIOLINS publish a wonderful set of photos in an effort to track it down.   http://darntonhersh.com/files/lipinski_strad_docs.zip.

Maybe you can get your hands on the folder of ~30 high quality pics

"To help with the recovery effort, the Darnton & Hersh firm and Michael Darnton are waiving copyrights to a set of detailed high-resolution images of the violin and an archival description"

Here is one I had pulled years ago,  photo credit: Tom Lynn/getty Images/AFP

1715 Lipinski Strad.png

Damn.

Evan, thanks so much for this. Regrettably the only encounter I ever had with a Strad was before I knew anything about violins, so I couldn't get anything out of it. 

What I'm struck by seeing these photos is just how elegant and understated the work is. In later attempts on the style - during Strads lifetime through today - we always tend to over do it on the details, don't we? 

Look at how subtle the lower wing fluting is, for example. And the edges! Nothing about them resembles the sort of cushioned, "piped on" edges of his imitators across the ages. 

Jackson Awestruck

8 hours ago, Wee B. Bridges said:

Where did you get to have this privilege ? 

Back in 2014 when it was stolen  DARNTON & HERSH RARE VIOLINS publish a wonderful set of photos in an effort to track it down.   http://darntonhersh.com/files/lipinski_strad_docs.zip.

Maybe you can get your hands on the folder of ~30 high quality pics

"To help with the recovery effort, the Darnton & Hersh firm and Michael Darnton are waiving copyrights to a set of detailed high-resolution images of the violin and an archival description"

Here is one I had pulled years ago,  photo credit: Tom Lynn/getty Images/AFP

1715 Lipinski Strad.png

Wee B.

He gave a master class in my town and I spoke to him briefly and he showed me the fiddle. In the light I saw it in  the violin is a dark fiery red and the flame looks very deep. One of the best I've seen and although I must have seen it at Francais  it hadn't stuck with me the way some others did.

The 14th picture from the top show an unusual and uneven amount of wear on the treble side at the back of the scroll. I wonder what this wear could be attributed to?

Are the pegs historic too? I was wondering why they wouldn't have trimmed them and finished the ends.

30 minutes ago, Bill Yacey said:

The 14th picture from the top show an unusual and uneven amount of wear on the treble side at the back of the scroll. I wonder what this wear could be attributed to?

Are the pegs historic too? I was wondering why they wouldn't have trimmed them and finished the ends.

I was told that wear like this came with the habit some old players had of leaning the head on a table while practicing. Whether or not it's true I don't know.

Wonderful pictures. Thanks.

15 minutes ago, Conor Russell said:

I was told that wear like this came with the habit some old players had of leaning the head on a table while practicing. Whether or not it's true I don't know.

Wonderful pictures. Thanks.

I was told that too, but that it was done specifically to practice vibrato. Perhaps our modern support systems (chin and shoulder rests) render such aids unnecessary?

On 5/5/2018 at 10:28 AM, Bill Yacey said:

What it tells me— this is good sounding Strad and thus  well played & well traveled year after year—Tuning with the left hand tend to wrap around the scroll.  No (?) Maybe I am wrong.  

Also some speculation about sliding in and out of the old-style saddle bag case has  been offered up. If like today typically you carry the violin sound post side down for obvious reasons (treble side down when on edge.)  Maybe there is some  tendency to wear on the back of the scroll biased towards the treble side as well, in these historical cases (?) 

Here is the head of the ex  'Joachim'  GB Guadagnini violin,  1775 Turin.

IMG_1355_2.jpg

I like the funky f-holes! :rolleyes:The bass side f-hole has an unusual long sweep on the lower end. 

Has anyone any idea which form was used?

Thanks for posting those interesting pics, Evan.

25 minutes ago, Andreas Preuss said:

I like the funky f-holes! :rolleyes:The bass side f-hole has an unusual long sweep on the lower end. 

Has anyone any idea which form was used?

Thanks for posting those interesting pics, Evan.

Information by Advocatus Diaboli

Strad model database draft.pdf

-Jim 

On 5/5/2018 at 12:28 PM, Bill Yacey said:

The pegs look like Eric Meyers work. 

5 hours ago, nathan slobodkin said:

Not really. Just small wings on the lower bouts to stretch a great piece of wood that was a little bit too narrow.

Yes, that's obvious. What I meant is rather that in some contemporary violinmaking schools (if somebody would make such 4p. back) this could be interpreted as a less worth job.